(a) Definition of eligible veteran’s dependent
The term “eligible veteran’s dependent” means a dependent or an independent student–
Terms Used In 20 USC 1070h
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
(1) whose parent or guardian was a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001; and
(2) who, at the time of the parent or guardian’s death, was–
(A) less than 24 years of age; or
(B) enrolled at an institution of higher education on a part-time or full-time basis.
(1) In general
The Secretary shall award a grant to each eligible veteran’s dependent to assist in paying the eligible veteran’s dependent’s cost of attendance at an institution of higher education.
Grants made under this section shall be known as “Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants”.
(c) Prevention of double benefits
No eligible veteran’s dependent may receive a grant under both this section and section 1070a of this title.
(d) Terms and conditions
The Secretary shall award grants under this section in the same manner, and with the same terms and conditions, including the length of the period of eligibility, as the Secretary awards Federal Pell Grants under section 1070a of this title, except that–
(1) the award rules and determination of need applicable to the calculation of Federal Pell Grants, shall not apply to grants made under this section;
(2) the provisions of subsection (a)(3), subsection (b)(1), the matter following subsection (b)(2)(A)(v),1 subsection (b)(3), and subsection (f), of section 1070a of this title shall not apply; and
(3) a grant made under this section to an eligible veteran’s dependent for any award year shall equal the maximum Federal Pell Grant available for that award year, except that such a grant under this section–
(A) shall not exceed the cost of attendance of the eligible veteran’s dependent for that award year; and
(B) shall be adjusted to reflect the attendance by the eligible veteran’s dependent on a less than full-time basis in the same manner as such adjustments are made under section 1070a of this title.
(e) Estimated financial assistance
For purposes of determinations of need under part F, a grant awarded under this section shall not be treated as estimated financial assistance as described in sections 1087kk(3) and 1087vv(j) of this title.
(f) Authorization and appropriations of funds
There are authorized to be appropriated, and there are appropriated, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, for the Secretary to carry out this section, such sums as may be necessary for fiscal year 2010 and each succeeding fiscal year.