(a) Short title
This part may be cited as the “Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act of 2003”.
The Congress finds the following:
(1) There is no more important cause than that of our nation’s defense.
(2) The United States will protect the freedom and secure the safety of its citizens.
(3) The United States military is the finest in the world and its personnel are determined to lead the world in pursuit of peace.
(4) Hundreds of thousands of Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard reservists and members of the National Guard have been called to active duty or active service.
(5) The men and women of the United States military put their lives on hold, leave their families, jobs, and postsecondary education in order to serve their country and do so with distinction.
(6) There is no more important cause for this Congress than to support the members of the United States military and provide assistance with their transition into and out of active duty and active service.
References in this part to “the Act” are references to the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1001 et seq.).