Every contract between the Department of Housing and Urban Development and any person or local body (including any corporation or public or private agency or body) for a loan, advance, grant, or contribution under the United States Housing Act of 1937, as amended [42 U.S.C. 1437 et seq.], the Housing Act of 1949, as amended [42 U.S.C. 1441 et seq.], or any other Act shall provide that such person or local body shall keep such records as the Department of Housing and Urban Development shall from time to time prescribe, including records which permit a speedy and effective audit and will fully disclose the amount and the disposition by such person or local body of the proceeds of the loan, advance, grant, or contribution, or any supplement thereto, the capital cost of any construction project for which any such loan, advance, grant, or contribution is made, and the amount of any private or other non-Federal funds used or grants-in-aid made for or in connection with any such project. No mortgage covering new or rehabilitated multifamily housing (as defined in section 1715r of title 12) shall be insured unless the mortgagor certifies that he will keep such records as are prescribed by the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development at the time of the certification and that they will be kept in such form as to permit a speedy and effective audit. The Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Comptroller General of the United States shall have access to and the right to examine and audit such records. This section shall become effective on the first day after the first full calendar month following the date of approval of the Housing Act of 1961.
Terms Used In 42 USC 1434
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- development: means any or all undertakings necessary for planning, land acquisition, demolition, construction, or equipment, in connection with a low-income housing project. See 42 USC 1437a
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- project: means (A) housing developed, acquired, or assisted by a public housing agency under this chapter, and (B) the improvement of any such housing. See 42 USC 1437a
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. See 42 USC 1437a