(a) General authorization
The Secretary may, upon such terms and conditions as the Secretary may prescribe, authorize a public housing agency to mortgage or otherwise grant a security interest in any public housing project or other property of the public housing agency.
(b) Terms and conditions
Terms Used In 42 USC 1437z-2
- low-income housing: means decent, safe, and sanitary dwellings assisted under this chapter. See 42 USC 1437a
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- project: means (A) housing developed, acquired, or assisted by a public housing agency under this chapter, and (B) the improvement of any such housing. See 42 USC 1437a
- public housing: includes dwelling units in a mixed finance project that are assisted by a public housing agency with capital or operating assistance. See 42 USC 1437a
- public housing agency: means any State, county, municipality, or other governmental entity or public body (or agency or instrumentality thereof) which is authorized to engage in or assist in the development or operation of public housing, or a consortium of such entities or bodies as approved by the Secretary. See 42 USC 1437a
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. See 42 USC 1437a
In making any authorization under subsection (a), the Secretary may consider–
(1) the ability of the public housing agency to use the proceeds of the mortgage or security interest for low-income housing uses;
(2) the ability of the public housing agency to make payments on the mortgage or security interest; and
(3) such other criteria as the Secretary may specify.
(c) No Federal liability
No action taken under this section shall result in any liability to the Federal Government.