(a) In general
The purpose of this part is to increase the flexibility of States in operating a program designed to–
Terms Used In 42 USC 601
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See
- marriage: means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. See
- State: means the 50 States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa. See 42 USC 619
(1) provide assistance to needy families so that children may be cared for in their own homes or in the homes of relatives;
(2) end the dependence of needy parents on government benefits by promoting job preparation, work, and marriage;
(3) prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies and establish annual numerical goals for preventing and reducing the incidence of these pregnancies; and
(4) encourage the formation and maintenance of two-parent families.
(b) No individual entitlement
This part shall not be interpreted to entitle any individual or family to assistance under any State program funded under this part.