(a) In general
The Secretary may make competitive grants to eligible institutions in insular areas to strengthen the capacity of such institutions to carry out distance food and agricultural education programs using digital network technologies.
Terms Used In 7 USC 3362
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture of the United States. See 7 USC 3103
- State: means --
(A) a State. See 7 USC 3103
Grants made under this section shall be used–
(1) to acquire the equipment, instrumentation, networking capability, hardware and software, digital network technology, and infrastructure necessary to teach students and teachers about technology in the classroom;
(2) to develop and provide educational services (including faculty development) to prepare students or faculty seeking a degree or certificate that is approved by the State or a regional accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of Education;
(3) to provide teacher education, library and media specialist training, and preschool and teacher aid certification to individuals who seek to acquire or enhance technology skills in order to use technology in the classroom or instructional process;
(4) to implement a joint project to provide education regarding technology in the classroom with a local educational agency, community-based organization, national nonprofit organization, or business; or
(5) to provide leadership development to administrators, board members, and faculty of eligible institutions with institutional responsibility for technology education.
(c) Limitation on use of grant funds
Funds provided under this section shall not be used for the planning, acquisition, construction, rehabilitation, or repair of a building or facility.
(d) Administration of program
The Secretary may carry out this section in a manner that recognizes the different needs and opportunities for eligible institutions in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
(e) Matching requirement
(1) In general
The Secretary may establish a requirement that an eligible institution receiving a grant under this section shall provide matching funds from non-Federal sources in an amount equal to not less than 50 percent of the grant.
If the Secretary establishes a matching requirement under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall retain an option to waive the requirement for an eligible institution for any fiscal year if the Secretary determines that the institution will be unlikely to meet the matching requirement for the fiscal year.
(f) Authorization of appropriations
There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section–
(1) such sums as are necessary for each of fiscal years 2002 through 2013; and
(2) $2,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2014 through 2023.