(a) In general
The Secretary of Agriculture shall make competitive grants to eligible institutions to–
Terms Used In 7 USC 3363
- food and agricultural sciences: means basic, applied, and developmental research, extension, and teaching activities in food and fiber, agricultural, renewable energy and natural resources, forestry, and physical and social sciences, including activities relating to the following:
(A) Animal health, production, and well-being. See 7 USC 3103
- insular area: means --
(A) the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See 7 USC 3103
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture of the United States. See 7 USC 3103
- State: means --
(A) a State. See 7 USC 3103
(1) strengthen institutional educational capacities, including libraries, curriculum, faculty, scientific instrumentation, instruction delivery systems, and student recruitment and retention, in order to respond to identified State, regional, national, or international education needs in the food and agricultural sciences;
(2) attract and support undergraduate and graduate students in order to educate them in identified areas of national need in the food and agriculture sciences;
(3) facilitate cooperative initiatives between two or more insular area eligible institutions, or between those institutions and units of State Government or organizations in the private sector, to maximize the development and use of resources such as faculty, facilities, and equipment to improve food and agricultural sciences teaching programs; and
(4) conduct undergraduate scholarship programs to assist in meeting national needs for training food and agricultural scientists.
(b) Grant requirements
(1) The Secretary of Agriculture shall ensure that each eligible institution, prior to receiving grant funds under subsection (a), shall have a significant demonstrable commitment to higher education programs in the food and agricultural sciences and to each specific subject area for which grant funds under this section are to be used.
(2) The Secretary of Agriculture may require that any grant awarded under this section contain provisions that require funds to be targeted to meet the needs identified in section 3101 of this title.
(c) Authorization of appropriations
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section–
(1) such sums as are necessary for each of fiscal years 2002 through 2013; and
(2) $2,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2014 through 2023.