|Subchapter I||General Provisions and Policies|
|Subchapter II||Investment in Affordable Housing|
|Subchapter III||National Homeownership Trust Demonstration|
|Subchapter IV||Hope for Homeownership of Multifamily and Single Family Homes|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 42 > Chapter 130
- Adjournment sine die: The end of a legislative session "without day." These adjournments are used to indicate the final adjournment of an annual or the two-year session of legislature.
- Administration: means the Small Business Administration. See
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assistant Secretary: means the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works). See
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Bureau: means the Bureau of the Census. See
- certification: means a written assertion, based on supporting evidence, which shall be kept available for inspection by the Secretary, the Inspector General and the public, which assertion shall be deemed to be accurate for purposes of this Act, unless the Secretary determines otherwise after inspecting the evidence and providing due notice and opportunity for comment. See 42 USC 12704
- chief executive: means the highest official of a State or local jurisdiction. See 34 USC 10251
- community housing development organization: means a nonprofit organization as defined in paragraph (5), that--
(A) has among its purposes the provision of decent housing that is affordable to low-income and moderate-income persons. See 42 USC 12704
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Defense attorney: Represent defendants in criminal matters.
- Director: means the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. See
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- displaced homemaker: means an individual who--
(A) is an adult. See 42 USC 12704
- evaluation: means the administration and conduct of studies and analyses to determine the impact and value of a project or program in accomplishing the statutory objectives of this chapter. See 34 USC 10251
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- first-time homebuyer: means an individual and his or her spouse who have not owned a home during the 3-year period prior to purchase of a home with assistance under subchapter II, except that--
(A) any individual who is a displaced homemaker may not be excluded from consideration as a first-time homebuyer under this paragraph on the basis that the individual, while a homemaker, owned a home with his or her spouse or resided in a home owned by the spouse. See 42 USC 12704
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- housing: includes manufactured housing and manufactured housing lots and elder cottage housing opportunity units that are small, free-standing, barrier-free, energy-efficient, removable, and designed to be installed adjacent to existing 1- to 4-family dwellings. See 42 USC 12704
- jurisdiction: means a State or unit of general local government. See 42 USC 12704
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- low-income families: means families whose incomes do not exceed 80 percent of the median income for the area, as determined by the Secretary with adjustments for smaller and larger families, except that the Secretary may establish income ceilings higher or lower than 80 percent of the median for the area on the basis of the Secretary's findings that such variations are necessary because of prevailing levels of construction costs or fair market rents, or unusually high or low family incomes. See 42 USC 12704
- market: means to sell or to otherwise dispose of an agricultural commodity in interstate, foreign, or intrastate commerce. See
- medical library: means a library related to the sciences related to health. See 42 USC 286b-1
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- nonprofit organization: means any private, nonprofit organization (including a State or locally chartered, nonprofit organization) that--
(A) is organized under State or local laws,
(B) has no part of its net earnings inuring to the benefit of any member, founder, contributor, or individual,
(C) complies with standards of financial accountability acceptable to the Secretary, and
(D) has among its purposes significant activities related to the provision of decent housing that is affordable to low-income and moderate-income persons. See 42 USC 12704
- oath: includes affirmation, and "sworn" includes affirmed. See
- participating jurisdiction: means any State or unit of general local government that has been so designated in accordance with section 12746 of this title. See 42 USC 12704
- population: means total resident population based on data compiled by the United States Bureau of the Census and referable to the same point or period in time. See 34 USC 10251
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- public housing agency: has the meaning given the term in section 1437a(b) of this title. See 42 USC 12704
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- sciences related to health: includes medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, and public health, and fundamental and applied sciences when related thereto. See 42 USC 286b-1
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Interior. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Energy. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, unless otherwise specified in this Act. See 42 USC 12704
- Service: means the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- single parent: means an individual who--
(A) is unmarried or legally separated from a spouse. See 42 USC 12704
- State: means any State of the United States or the District of Columbia. See
- State: includes the several States, the territories and possessions of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. See
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any agency or instrumentality thereof that is established pursuant to legislation and designated by the chief executive officer to act on behalf of the State with regard to the provisions of this Act. See 42 USC 12704
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Task Force: means the Aquatic Nuisance Species Task Force established under section 4721 of this title. See
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- unit of general local government: means a city, town, township, county, parish, village, or other general purpose political subdivision of a State. See 42 USC 12704
- unit of local government: means --
(A) any city, county, township, town, borough, parish, village, or other general purpose political subdivision of a State. See 34 USC 10251
- United States: means collectively the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See
- United States: means the several States the District of Columbia, and the territories and possessions of the United States. See 50 USC 1514
- United States: means the fifty States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any other territory or possession of the United States. See
- United States: means collectively the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories and possessions of the United States. See
- very low-income families: means low-income families whose incomes do not exceed 50 percent of the median family income for the area, as determined by the Secretary with adjustments for smaller and larger families, except that the Secretary may establish income ceilings higher or lower than 50 percent of the median for the area on the basis of the Secretary's findings that such variations are necessary because of prevailing levels of construction costs or fair market rents, or unusually high or low family incomes. See 42 USC 12704