U.S. Code > Title 7 > Chapter 11 – Honeybees
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|§ 281||Honeybee importation|
|§ 282||Punishment for unlawful importation|
|§ 283||Propagation of stock and release of germ plasm|
|§ 284||Eradication and control of undesirable species and subspecies|
|§ 285||Uses of funds|
|§ 286||Authorization of appropriations|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 7 > Chapter 11 - Honeybees
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- agency: means an agency as defined in section 552(e) 1 of title 5. See 22 USC 3902
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- annuitant: means any individual, including a former participant or survivor, who meets all requirements for an annuity from the Fund under this chapter or any other Act and who has filed a claim for such annuity. See 22 USC 4044
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- child: means an individual&mdash. See 22 USC 4044
- consul: as used in this chapter shall mean the consular officer in charge of the district concerned. See 21 USC 215
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- court: means any court of any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the Virgin Islands, and any Indian court as defined by section 1301(3) of title 25. See 22 USC 4044
- court order: means any court decree of divorce or annulment, or any court order or court approved property settlement agreement incident to any court decree of divorce or annulment. See 22 USC 4044
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Department of State, except that with reference to the exercise of functions under this chapter with respect to another agency authorized by law to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, such term means that other agency. See 22 USC 3902
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- filled milk: means any milk, cream, or skimmed milk, whether or not condensed, evaporated, concentrated, powdered, dried, or desiccated, to which has been added, or which has been blended or compounded with, any fat or oil other than milk fat, so that the resulting product is in imitation or semblance of milk, cream, or skimmed milk, whether or not condensed, evaporated, concentrated, powdered, dried, or desiccated. See 21 USC 61
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreign Service: means the Foreign Service of the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- former spouse: means a former wife or husband of a participant or former participant who was married to such participant for not less than 10 years during periods of service by that participant which are creditable under section 4056 of this title. See 22 USC 4044
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fund: means the Foreign Service Retirement and Disability Fund maintained by the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to section 4042 of this title. See 22 USC 4071a
- further revised annuity participant: means any individual who&mdash. See 22 USC 4071a
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Government: means the Government of the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- honeybee: means all life stages and the germ plasm of honeybees of the genus Apis, except honeybee semen. See 7 USC 281
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- interstate or foreign commerce: means commerce (1) between any State, Territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof. See 21 USC 61
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- lump-sum credit: means the compulsory and special contributions to the credit of a participant or former participant in the Fund plus interest on such contributions at 4 percent a year compounded annually to December 31, 1976, and after such date, for a participant who separates from the Service after completing at least 1 year of civilian service and before completing 5 years of such service, at the rate of 3 percent per year to the date of separation (except that interest shall not be paid for a fractional part of a month in the total service or on compulsory and special contributions from an annuitant for recall service or other service performed after the date of separation which forms the basis for annuity). See 22 USC 4044
- marriage: means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. See 1 USC 7
- military and naval service: means honorable active service&mdash. See 22 USC 4044
- normal cost: means the entry-age normal cost of the provisions of the System which relate to the Fund, computed by the Secretary of State in accordance with generally accepted actuarial practice and standards (using dynamic assumptions) and expressed as a level percentage of aggregate basic pay. See 22 USC 4071a
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- participant: means a person who participates in the Foreign Service Pension System. See 22 USC 4071a
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes an individual, partnership, corporation, or association. See 21 USC 61
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- recreation area: means the Smith River National Recreation Area established by section 460bbb-2 of this title. See 16 USC 460bbb-1
- revised annuity participant: means any individual who&mdash. See 22 USC 4071a
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture. See 7 USC 138
- Secretary: means the Secretary of State, except that (subject to section 3921 of this title) with reference to the exercise of functions under this Act with respect to any agency authorized by law to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, such term means the head of that agency. See 22 USC 3902
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture. See 16 USC 460bbb-1
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- spousal agreement: means any written agreement between&mdash. See 22 USC 4044
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- supplemental liability: means the estimated excess of&mdash. See 22 USC 4071a
- surviving spouse: means the surviving wife or husband of a participant or annuitant who was married to the participant or annuitant for at least 9 months immediately preceding his or her death or is a parent of a child born of the marriage, except that the requirement for at least 9 months of marriage shall be deemed satisfied in any case in which the participant or annuitant dies within the applicable 9-month period, if&mdash. See 22 USC 4044
- System: means the Foreign Service Pension System. See 22 USC 4071a
- unfunded liability: means the estimated excess of the present value of all benefits payable from the Fund under this part over the sum of&mdash. See 22 USC 4044
- United States: when used in a geographic sense, means the several States and the District of Columbia. See 22 USC 3902
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See 1 USC 4
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 1 USC 3
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1