(a) Any vacancy in the office of trustee occurring during a recess of the Legislature shall be filled by appointment of the Governor. The appointee shall hold office until the next session of the Legislature, at which time the appointment shall be confirmed by the Senate. If not confirmed by the Senate, another appointment shall be made by the Governor in like manner until an appointment is confirmed by the Senate. A trustee appointed by the Governor to fill a vacancy, by and with the consent of the Senate, shall hold office during the unexpired term.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-47A-8
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(b) After the initial appointments to the board, future members appointed to the board shall be appointed by the Governor from a list of three persons nominated by a nominating committee. The nominating committee shall consist of all of the following members:
(1) One member of the board as elected by the membership of the board.
(2) The presiding officer of the Athens State University Faculty Senate.
(3) The presiding officer of the Athens State University Staff Senate.
(4) One member of the Limestone County Legislative Delegation, as selected by the delegation.
(5) The President of the Athens State University Alumni Association, or his or her designee.
(6) The President of the Athens State University Foundation, or his or her designee.
(7) The president of the university shall serve as a nonvoting, ex officio member and chair of the committee.
(c) Within 45 days of any vacancy on the board, the nominating committee shall select and forward to the Governor three names for consideration for appointment. If no recommendation is made by the nominating committee within 45 days after a vacancy, the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, may appoint a qualified candidate to fill the vacancy.