(a)(1) The Marion Military Institute is confirmed as a state college. All lands, facilities, assets, and proceeds from these lands, facilities, and assets, hereafter are property of the state and all liabilities, obligations, and responsibilities of the institute become those of the Alabama State Board of Education.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-60-332
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(2) All endowments and historical documents shall remain the property of the board of trustees to be used for educational purposes as determined by the board.
(b) Due to the unique governance inherent in the military structure of the institute, the institute shall operate under the control, management, and direction of the Alabama State Board of Education and the Chancellor. The administration of the institute shall be by the president, who shall report and be responsible to the Chancellor and the Alabama State Board of Education concerning the operation and maintenance of the institute.
(c) Should the Alabama State Board of Education decide to discontinue the institute as a military educational college, all lands, facilities, and assets shall revert to the board of trustees.
(d) Facilities previously named for alumni, donors, former trustees, or administrators shall retain present names unless the board of trustees recommends and the Alabama State Board of Education agrees to change the name of the facility. Facility naming in the future shall be approved in the same manner.