As used in this article, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 23-2-142
- authority: The Alabama Toll Road, Bridge, and Tunnel Authority created by this article, or any board, body, or commission succeeding to the principal functions thereof or to which the powers given by this article to the authority shall be given by law. See Alabama Code 23-2-142
- concessionaire: A person, firm, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, or other legal entity described in Section 23-2-144(a)(12) which has been awarded a contract to construct or operate, or both, a toll road or bridge by the department or the authority. See Alabama Code 23-2-142
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- cost: As applied to a toll road, bridge, or tunnel project, the cost shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. See Alabama Code 23-2-142
- department: The State Department of Transportation. See Alabama Code 23-2-142
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) AUTHORITY. The Alabama Toll Road, Bridge, and Tunnel Authority created by this article, or any board, body, or commission succeeding to the principal functions thereof or to which the powers given by this article to the authority shall be given by law.
(2) BONDS or TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, OR TUNNEL REVENUE BONDS. Bonds of the authority authorized under this article.
(3) CONCESSIONAIRE. A person, firm, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, or other legal entity described in Section 23-2-144(a)(12) which has been awarded a contract to construct or operate, or both, a toll road or bridge by the department or the authority.
(4) COST. As applied to a toll road, bridge, or tunnel project, the cost shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. The cost of construction, including bridges over or under existing highways and railroads.
b. The cost of the acquisition of all land, rights-of-way, property, rights, easements, and interests acquired by or on behalf of the authority for construction.
c. The cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which buildings or structures may be moved.
d. The cost of diverting highways, interchange of highways, and access roads to private property, including the cost of land for easements therefor.
e. The cost of all machinery and equipment.
f. The cost of financing charges, including interest prior to and during construction and for one year after completion of construction.
g. The cost of traffic estimates, feasibility studies, engineering studies, design and other related studies and analyses, and legal fees and expenses.
h. Plans, specifications, surveys, and estimates of cost and of revenues.
i. The cost of other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing a project.
j. The cost of administrative expenses and other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the construction of a project.
k. The cost of the financing of construction.
l. The cost of placing a project in operation.
m. Any other cost or expenditure necessary or incidental to the construction of a project, the financing of a project, and the placing of a project in operation.
n. Any obligation or expense which may be incurred by the State Department of Transportation for traffic surveys, borings, preparation of plans and specifications, and other engineering services in connection with the planning or construction of a project shall be regarded as a part of the cost of such project and shall be reimbursed to the State Department of Transportation by the authority.
(5) DEPARTMENT. The State Department of Transportation.
(6) PROJECT; TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, AND TUNNEL PROJECT; or TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, OR TUNNEL PROJECT. Any type of toll road, bridge, causeway, tunnel, or other transportation facility established and constructed or to be constructed by or on behalf of the authority, in conjunction with the department, under this article. The term includes, but is not limited to, all toll roads, bridges, causeways, tunnels, overpasses, underpasses, interchanges, entrance plazas, approaches, access roads, toll houses, electronic tolling facilities and equipment, service areas, service stations, service facilities, communication and video and other surveillance facilities, and administration, storage, and other buildings which the authority may deem necessary for the operation of a project. The term also includes, but is not limited to, all property, rights, easements, and interests which may be acquired by the authority for the construction, operation, and maintenance of a project, including a project that is leased to a concessionaire by the authority or the department.