No group, blanket, franchise, or association health insurance policy providing coverage on an expense incurred basis, nor group, blanket, franchise, or association service or indemnity type contract issued by a nonprofit corporation, nor group-type self insurance plan providing protection, insurance, or indemnity against hospital, medical, or surgical expenses, nor health maintenance organization plan shall be issued, delivered, executed, or renewed in this state, or approved for issuance or renewal in this state by the Commissioner of Insurance after 90 days beyond the effective date of this chapter, unless such policy, contract, or plan, at the option of the policyholder or sponsor, provides benefits to any insured, subscriber, or other person covered under the policy, contract, or plan for expenses incurred in connection with the treatment of alcoholism when such treatment is prescribed by a duly licensed doctor of medicine.
(Acts 1979, No. 79-436, p. 701, §2.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-20A-2. Chapter applicable to group, etc., policies
- alcoholism: A chronic disorder or illness in which the individual is unable, for psychological or physical reasons, or both, to refrain from the frequent consumption of alcohol in quantities sufficient to produce intoxication and, ultimately, injury to health and effective functioning. See Alabama Code 27-20A-1
- contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: The word "state," when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1