When a parent is required by a court or administrative order to provide health coverage and the parent is eligible for family health coverage through an insurer, all of the following shall apply:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-21B-5. Health coverage through insurer
- agency: Any state agency responsible for administering programs under Title IV-D or Title XIX of the Social Security Act. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- insurer: A health insurer, including a group health plan as defined in Section 607(1) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, a health maintenance organization, or an entity offering a service benefit plan. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
(1) The parent shall be able to enroll a child in family coverage without regard to open enrollment season restrictions.
(2) If the parent fails to enroll a child as required by court or administrative order, the child’s other parent or the agency may make an enrollment.
(3) A child enrolled in health coverage pursuant to this section shall not be disenrolled unless the insurer is provided satisfactory written evidence of either of the following:
a. The court or administrative order is no longer in effect.
b. The child is or will be enrolled in comparable health coverage through another insurer which will take effect not later than the effective date of the disenrollment.