When a child has health coverage through the insurer of a noncustodial parent, the insurer shall do all of the following:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-21B-8. Coverage through insurer of non-custodial parent
- agency: Any state agency responsible for administering programs under Title IV-D or Title XIX of the Social Security Act. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- insurer: A health insurer, including a group health plan as defined in Section 607(1) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, a health maintenance organization, or an entity offering a service benefit plan. See Alabama Code 27-21B-2
(1) Provide necessary information to the custodial parent in order for the child to obtain benefits through the coverage.
(2) Allow the custodial parent or the health provider, with the custodial parent’s approval, to submit claims for covered services without approval from the noncustodial parent.
(3) Make payment on the submitted claims directly to the custodial parent, provider, or the agency.