The purposes of this chapter are to:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-3A-2. Purposes
- utilization review: A system for prospective and concurrent review of the necessity and appropriateness in the allocation of health care resources and services given or proposed to be given to an individual within this state. See Alabama Code 27-3A-3
(1) Promote the delivery of quality health care in a cost-effective manner.
(2) Assure that utilization review agents adhere to reasonable standards for conducting utilization review.
(3) Foster greater coordination and cooperation between health care providers and utilization review agents.
(4) Improve communications and knowledge of benefit plan requirements among all parties concerned before expenses are incurred.
(5) Ensure that utilization review agents maintain the confidentiality of medical records in accordance with applicable laws.