As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings respectively ascribed to them, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-17A-1
- dealer: Every person engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging vehicles who has an established place of business for such purpose in this state and to whom current dealer registration plates have been issued by the Department of Revenue. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(1) AFTERMARKET CRASH PART. A replacement for any of the nonmechanical sheet metal or plastic parts which generally constitute the exterior of a motor vehicle, including inner and outer panels.
(2) INSTALLER. An individual who performs the work of replacing or repairing parts of a motor vehicle.
(3) INSURER. Includes an insurance company and any person authorized to represent the insurer with respect to a claim and who is acting within the scope of the person’s authority.
(4) NONORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER AFTERMARKET CRASH PART. An aftermarket crash part made by any manufacturer other than the original vehicle manufacturer or his or her supplier.
(5) REPAIR FACILITY. A motor vehicle dealer, garage, body shop, or other commercial entity which undertakes the repair or replacement of those parts that generally constitute the exterior of a motor vehicle.