(a) License plate issuing officials shall not register or re-register a motor vehicle or transfer the license plates if the registration is suspended pursuant to Section 32-7A-12.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-17
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- driver: Every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), upon the request of the registrant, the license plate issuing official shall reinstate a registrant’s suspended registration at such time the registrant meets the provisions of reinstatement provided for by this chapter.
(c) No vehicle registration or renewal thereof shall be issued to any motor vehicle unless the license plate issuing official receives satisfactory evidence of insurance or verification of motor vehicle liability insurance through the online insurance verification system, liability insurance bond, or deposit of cash that provides the minimum motor vehicle insurance coverage required by Section 32-7-6 or is exempted under Section 32-7A-5. Verification by the license plate issuing official shall be made in a manner as prescribed by the department.
(d) All officials authorized by law to issue motor vehicle license plates shall obtain, when issuing the initial motor vehicle registration or transferring a motor vehicle registration, each registrant’s non-expired state issued driver‘s license or identification card number, a department approved federal identifying number, national driver’s license, or for a company or other entity, the federal employer identification number, for inclusion within the motor vehicle registration records in the state and county databases provided these numbers shall not be included on the motor vehicle registration receipts. The department has the additional authority to assign an identifying number to vehicle registrants in order to document compliance with this chapter. This information shall be used by the department in the administration of this chapter. The requirements of this subsection shall not apply to the renewal of a motor vehicle registration.