Alabama Code > Title 15 > Chapter 16 – Insanity
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|Article 1||General Provisions||15-16-1 – 15-16-3|
|Article 2||Confined Persons||15-16-20 – 15-16-24|
|Article 3||Commitment||15-16-41 – 15-16-43|
|Article 4||Criminal Psychopath Release Restriction Act||15-16-60 – 15-16-71|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 15 > Chapter 16 - Insanity
- abuse: The occurrence of one or more of the following acts by a family or household member, as defined by subdivision (3) of subsection (b) of Section 15-10-3:
a. See Alabama Code 27-55-2
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Arraignment: A proceeding in which an individual who is accused of committing a crime is brought into court, told of the charges, and asked to plead guilty or not guilty.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- articles: The articles of incorporation or articles of reincorporation of an authority. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- authority: A public corporation incorporated or reincorporated pursuant to the provisions of this article. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- board: The Board of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS: The board of directors of an authority. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- borrower: A county or incorporated municipality, as the case may be, exercising the powers conferred by this article. See Alabama Code 11-81-160
- Capital offense: A crime punishable by death.
- COLORECTAL CANCER EXAMINATIONS: Examinations and laboratory tests specified in current American Cancer Society guidelines for colorectal cancer screening of asymptomatic individuals. See Alabama Code 27-57-1
- COMBINED SYSTEM: A consolidated system resulting from the combination of any two or more of the following: a waterworks system, a sanitary system, a gas system and an electric system. See Alabama Code 11-81-160
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the state Department of Insurance. See Alabama Code 27-55-2
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 2-15-150
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation, including a benefit corporation, as defined in Chapter 2A, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- COUNTY OF INCORPORATION: The county in which an authority has been or is proposed to be incorporated or reincorporated. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- COVERED PERSON: Any individual, family, or family member on whose behalf third-party payment or prepayment of health or medical expenses is provided under an insurance policy, plan, or contract providing for third-party payment or prepayment of health care or medical expenses. See Alabama Code 27-56-2
- dealer: Any person engaged in the business of buying livestock in the State of Alabama for resale, exchange or slaughter and meat packing purposes, either on his or her own account or as agent for others on a commission basis or otherwise. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- department: The Department of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 2-15-150
- directors: The members of the board of directors. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- EYE CARE PROVIDER: A licensed optometrist or a licensed ophthalmologist. See Alabama Code 27-56-2
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- GOVERNING BODY: In the case of a county, the county commission exercising the legislative functions of the county and, in the case of a municipality, the board of commissioners, the mayor and council or other similar body exercising the legislative functions of the municipality. See Alabama Code 11-81-160
- HEALTH BENEFIT PLAN: A policy, contract, certificate, or agreement offered by a health carrier to provide, deliver, arrange, pay for, or reimburse any of the costs of health care services or health care benefit. See Alabama Code 27-55-2
- HEALTH BENEFIT PLAN: A group health insurance policy that covers hospital, medical, or surgical expenses, health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations, medical service organizations, physician-hospital organizations, or any other person, firm, corporation, joint venture, or other similar business entity that pays for, purchases, or furnishes health care services to patients, insureds, or beneficiaries in this state. See Alabama Code 27-57-1
- HEALTH BENEFIT PLAN: Any individual or group plan, employee welfare benefit plan, policy, or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed in this state by a health care insurer, health maintenance organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, nonprofit hospital service corporation, nonprofit medical service corporation, health care service plan, or any other person, firm, corporation, joint venture, or other similar business entity that pays for insureds or beneficiaries in this state. See Alabama Code 27-58-1
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- insurer: A person or other legal entity engaged in the business of insurance in this state, including agents, brokers, adjusters, and third-party administrators. See Alabama Code 27-55-2
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- livestock: Cattle, swine, sheep, goats, equidae, ratites, poultry, and catfish. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- livestock: Any animal maintained in captivity for any reason. See Alabama Code 2-15-150
- LIVESTOCK MARKET: A place, concentration, or collection point or other public or private place where a person assembles livestock for either public or private sale by himself or herself and the service or the cost or expense thereof is compensated by the owner of the livestock on a commission basis or otherwise. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- materials: Infected barns or other infected structures or parts thereof and farm products, clothing, straw, hay or other feed for animals and other articles stored or contained in or adjacent to such barns or other structures. See Alabama Code 2-15-150
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle that is self-propelled and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices and electric bicycles. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- municipality: Any municipal corporation wholly or partially within the county of incorporation. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- obligations: Bonds, warrants, certificates of indebtedness and notes of a unit, including bonds, warrants, certificates and notes that are general obligations of the issuing unit and those that are payable solely from a specified source. See Alabama Code 11-81-220
- ORGANIZING SUBDIVISION: With respect to any unit, each municipality or county which may have granted authorization or made determinations respecting the incorporation of the unit or the governing body of which may have granted such authorization or made such determinations and, in the case of a board of education, the county or city with respect to which such board of education is organized. See Alabama Code 11-81-220
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- PARTICIPATING MUNICIPALITY: Any municipality named in the articles that elects to participate in the incorporation or reincorporation of the authority. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- person: Unless limited to a natural person by the context in which it is used, any person, including, without limitation, a private firm, a private association, a corporation, and a public person. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- person: Any individual, partnership, corporation, association or other business unit. See Alabama Code 2-15-131
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- policy: A contract of insurance, certificate, indemnity, suretyship, or annuity issued, proposed for issuance, or intended for issuance by an insurer, including endorsements or riders to an insurance policy or contract. See Alabama Code 27-55-2
- policy: Any group health benefit plan, contract, or policy, except a disability income policy, and endorsements thereof, specified disease policy, or hospital indemnity policy. See Alabama Code 27-57-1
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- PROBATE JUDGE: The judge of probate of the county of incorporation of an authority. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION: A professional association as defined in Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- PUBLIC HATCHERY: Any establishment that regularly artificially hatches and sells or offers for sale to the public baby chicks or the young of any domestic fowl under six weeks of age or hatching eggs or that does custom hatching. See Alabama Code 2-16-1
- PUBLIC PERSON: The state and any county, municipal corporation, agency, subdivision thereof, instrumentality thereof, or similar person. See Alabama Code 11-81-260
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- SCREENING FOR THE EARLY DETECTION OF PROSTATE CANCER: At a minimum, a prostate-specific antigen blood test and a digital rectal examination. See Alabama Code 27-58-1
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- unit: Any public corporation organized in this state pursuant to authorization or determination by any municipality or municipalities or county or counties or a municipality and a county or by any combination of municipalities and counties or by the governing body of any one or more thereof and shall include also any county board of education and any city board of education. See Alabama Code 11-81-220
- Usury: Charging an illegally high interest rate on a loan. Source: OCC
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any individual or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle, an electric bicycle, or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 32-1-1.1
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Veto: The procedure established under the Constitution by which the President/Governor refuses to approve a bill or joint resolution and thus prevents its enactment into law. A regular veto occurs when the President/Governor returns the legislation to the house in which it originated. The President/Governor usually returns a vetoed bill with a message indicating his reasons for rejecting the measure. In Congress, the veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.