|Article 1||General Provisions||16-24-1 – 16-24-22|
|Article 2||State Tenure Commission||16-24-30 – 16-24-38|
|Article 3||Part-Time Employment of Teachers||16-24-60 – 16-24-68|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 24
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- board: The Board of Directors of the Alabama Local Government Training Institute. See Alabama Code 45-35-244
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- COUNTY COMMISSION: The governing body as created in Section 11-3-1 and each county governing body created by local act. See Alabama Code 45-35-244
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- employee: A person in the classified service herein set up and appointed by the appointing authority, unless herein expressly excepted. See Alabama Code 45-35A-51.01
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- GENERAL PARTNER: means :
(A) with respect to a limited partnership, a person that:
(i) is admitted as a general partner under Section 10A-9A-4. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- institute: The Alabama Local Government Training Institute. See Alabama Code 45-35-244
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Judgement: The official decision of a court finally determining the respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- LIMITED PARTNER: means :
(A) with respect to a limited partnership, a person that:
(i) is admitted as a limited partner under Section 10A-9A-3. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- partner: means a limited partner or general partner. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- partnership: Includes a general partnership, a limited liability partnership, a foreign limited liability partnership, a limited partnership, a foreign limited partnership, a limited liability limited partnership, and a foreign limited liability limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT: means any agreement (whether referred to as a partnership agreement or otherwise), written, oral or implied, of the partners as to the activities and affairs of a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- PERSON DISSOCIATED AS A GENERAL PARTNER: means a person dissociated as a general partner of a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- REQUIRED INFORMATION: means the information that a limited partnership is required to maintain under Section 10A-9A-1. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- RULES AND REGULATIONS: A prescribed course of procedure adopted by the board to promote the administration of this part and the system hereby created. See Alabama Code 45-35A-51.01
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- state: The State of Alabama and any department, board, bureau, commission, or other agency thereof. See Alabama Code 45-35-244
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- subscription: include a mark when the person cannot write, if his name is written near the mark, and witnessed by a person who writes his own name as a witness, and include with respect to corporate securities facsimile signature placed upon any instrument or writing with intent to execute or authenticate such instrument or writing. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- transferee: means a person to which all or part of a transferable interest has been transferred, whether or not the transferor is a partner. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.