(a) There is created in the corporation a low cost and low income multiple family housing development fund. Subject to appropriation the corporation shall make grants to municipalities or public or private nonprofit corporations designated as tax exempt under 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3) and (4) (Internal Revenue Code of 1954) for the purpose of developing low cost, low income multiple family housing.
(b) Application for a grant under (a) of this section shall be in the form prescribed by the corporation. The application
(1) shall demonstrate the need for low cost, low income multiple family housing in the area to be served, the feasibility of the proposed project; and
(2) must include an adequate management plan that shall demonstrate the ability of the eligible recipient to sustain the proposed project.
(c) A low cost and low income multiple family housing project developed under this section
(1) shall be prepared in accordance with facility procurement policies developed by the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities under AS 35.10.160 – 35.10.200; and
(2) is a public facility under AS 35.10.160 – 35.10.200.
(d) The corporation shall adopt regulations under AS 18.56.088 to carry out the purposes of this section.
(e) In this section, “low cost and low income multiple family housing”
(1) means a specific work or improvement undertaken primarily to provide multiple family dwelling accommodations for low income persons;
(2) includes the acquisition, construction, or rehabilitation of land, buildings, improvements, and other nonhousing facilities that are incidental or appurtenant to the housing.