A. An agency contract shall be a record that is signed or otherwise authenticated by the parties.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 15-1770
- Agency contract: means an agreement in which a student athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit a professional sports services contract or an endorsement contract on behalf of the student athlete. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Athlete agent: means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student athlete to enter into an agency contract. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Athletic director: means an individual responsible for administering the overall athletic program of an educational institution or, if an educational institution has separately administered athletic programs for male students and female students, the athletic program for males or the athletic program for females. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Person: means an individual, a corporation, a business trust, an estate, a trust, a partnership, a limited liability company, an association, a joint venture, a government, a governmental subdivision, a government agency, a government instrumentality, a public corporation or any other legal or commercial entity. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic format or any other medium and that is retrievable in perceivable form. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
- Student athlete: means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in or may be eligible in the future to engage in any intercollegiate sport. See Arizona Laws 15-1762
B. An agency contract shall state or contain the following:
1. The amount and method of calculating the consideration to be paid by the student athlete for services to be provided by the athlete agent under the contract and any other consideration the athlete agent has received or will receive from any other source for entering into the contract or for providing the services.
2. The name of any person who will be compensated because the student athlete signed the agency contract.
3. A description of any expenses that the student athlete agrees to reimburse the athlete agent.
4. A description of the services to be provided to the student athlete.
5. The duration of the contract.
6. The date of the execution of the contract.
C. An agency contract shall contain, in close proximity to the signature of the student athlete, a conspicuous notice in bold-faced type in capital letters that states the following:
Warning to Student Athlete
If you sign this contract:
1. You may lose your eligibility to compete as a student athlete in your sport.
2. If you have an athletic director, within 72 hours after entering into this contract or before the next athletic event in which you may participate, whichever comes first, both you and your athlete agent must notify your athletic director.
3. You may cancel this contract within 14 days after signing it. Cancellation of this contract may not reinstate your eligibility.
D. An agency contract that does not conform to this section is voidable by the student athlete. If a student athlete voids an agency contract, the student athlete is not required to pay any consideration under the contract or to return any consideration that was received from the athlete agent and that was given to induce the student athlete to enter into the contract.
E. The athlete agent shall give a copy of the signed or otherwise authenticated agency contract to the student athlete at the time of execution.