Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 4771 - Athlete Agents
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Agent contract: means any contract or agreement pursuant to which an athlete authorizes or empowers or agrees to authorize or empower at some later date an athlete agent to do any of the following:
(1) Negotiate or solicit an agreement on behalf of the athlete with one or more professional sports teams for the employment of the athlete by a professional sports team;
(2) Negotiate or solicit an agreement on behalf of the athlete for the employment of the athlete as a professional athlete;
(3) Market, or enter an agreement to market, an athlete or an athlete's reputation. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- anything of value: includes :
(A) Money, bank bills or notes, United States treasury notes, and other bills, bonds, or notes issued by lawful authority and intended to pass and circulate as money;
(B) Goods and chattels;
(C) Promissory notes, bills of exchange, orders, drafts, warrants, checks, or bonds given for the payment of money;
(D) Receipts given for the payment of money or other property;
(E) Rights in action;
(F) Things which savor of the realty and are, at the time they are taken, a part of the freehold, whether they are of the substance or produce thereof or affixed thereto, although there may be no interval between the severing and taking away;
(G) Any interest in realty, including fee simple and partial interests, present and future, contingent or vested interests, beneficial interests, leasehold interests, and any other interest in realty;
(H) Any promise of future employment;
(I) Every other thing of value. See Ohio Code 1.03
- Athlete: means either of the following:
(1) A student enrolled in any educational institution or institution of higher education in this state, who participates, or is or may become eligible to participate, in any athletic sporting event, contest, exhibition, or program at the educational institution or institution of higher education;
(2) A student who meets one of the following criteria:
(a) Resides in this state, is eligible to participate in an amateur athletic program, and has informed an educational institution or institution of higher education, in writing, of the student's intent to participate in that institution's amateur athletic program;
(b) Does not reside in this state but is eligible to participate in an amateur athletic program and has informed, in writing, an educational institution or institution of higher education in this state of the student's intent to participate in that institution's amateur athletic program. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Athlete agent: means any person who directly or indirectly recruits or solicits any athlete to enter into an agent contract or professional sports services contract, or who for a fee procures, offers, promises, or attempts to obtain employment for an athlete with a professional sports team, or as a professional athlete, or otherwise attempts to market an athlete or an athlete's reputation. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Bond: includes an undertaking. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Educational institution: means any institution located in this state, public or private, that provides elementary or secondary education to students as its primary function. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Immediate family: means an individual's spouse, child, parent, stepparent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, parent-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, nephew, niece, aunt, uncle, first cousin, or the spouse or guardian of any of the individuals described in this division. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Institution of higher education: means a state university or college or a private nonprofit college or university located in this state that possesses a certificate of authorization issued by the Ohio board of regents pursuant to Chapter 1713 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Professional sports services contract: means either of the following:
(1) Any contract or agreement pursuant to which an athlete is employed or agrees to render services as a player on a professional sports team or as a professional athlete;
(2) Any contract or agreement that provides for the present or future marketing of an athlete or athlete's reputation. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Property: means real and personal property. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Registered mail: includes certified mail and "certified mail" includes registered mail. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Rule: includes regulation. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- State university or college: includes the state universities listed in section 3345. See Ohio Code 4771.01
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Whoever: includes all persons, natural and artificial; partners; principals, agents, and employees; and all officials, public or private. See Ohio Code 1.02