In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 20-861
- Adult: means a person who has attained eighteen years of age. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
1. "Association or order" means any association or order that is a nonprofit military mutual aid association, whose members are officers or enlisted, regular or reserve, active, retired or honorably discharged members of the armed forces or sea services of the United States, and whose principal purpose is to provide life insurance and annuities to its members and their dependents or beneficiaries.
2. "Benefit contract" means an agreement for the provision of benefits.
3. "Benefit member" means an adult who is a member of a fraternal benefit society and who is designated by the laws or rules of the society to be a benefit member under a benefit contract.
4. "Certificate" means a document that is issued as written evidence of the benefit contract.
5. "Fraternal benefit society" means a society, order or supreme lodge without capital stock, including an incorporated or unincorporated society that is exempt under section 20-893, that is conducted solely for the benefit of its members and their beneficiaries, is not for profit, operates on a lodge system with a ritualistic form of work, has a representative form of government and provides benefits according to this article.
6. "Laws" means the articles of incorporation, constitution and bylaws of the society.
7. "Lodge" means a subordinate member of the society, including any camp, court, council, branch or other designated unit.
8. "Premiums" means rates, dues or other required contributions that are payable under the certificate.
9. "Rules" means the rules, regulations and resolutions that are adopted by the supreme governing body or board of directors and that are intended to apply to the members of the society.
10. "Society" means a fraternal benefit society.