A. If the director determines that any tax, penalty, fee or interest has been overpaid or collected that was not lawfully due, the director shall state this fact in the director’s records. The director shall either credit the overpayment on an amount due from the person or make a refund to the person or the person’s successors, administrators, executors or assignees from receipts that are in the possession of the director and that are collected under the same statute.
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 28-373
- Director: means the director of the department of transportation. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- State: means a state of the United States and the District of Columbia. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
B. Except as provided in this section and except as otherwise provided in this title, application fees, public record fees, permit fees, license fees and fees and taxes paid for vehicle registration are not refundable once paid.
C. Notwithstanding subsection B, the director may refund the fees prescribed in subsection B if both of the following conditions exist:
1. The service has not been rendered or the permit has not been used.
2. It has been determined that the director erred in accepting payment or that the director contributed to a misunderstanding on the part of the person making payment by providing inaccurate, misleading or incorrect information.
D. Except as otherwise provided by statute, a person shall make a request for a refund to the director within one year of the date of payment on which a claim for refund is made.