Terms Used In Arizona Laws 42-3302
- Department: means the department of revenue. See Arizona Laws 42-1001
- Indian: means any person who is duly registered on the tribal rolls of an Indian tribe that occupies an Indian reservation. See Arizona Laws 42-3301
- Indian reservation: means all lands that are held in trust by the United States within the limits of an area that is set aside by the United States for the exclusive use and occupancy of Indian tribes by treaty, statute or executive order and that is recognized as an Indian reservation by the United States department of the interior. See Arizona Laws 42-3301
- Indian tribe: means any organized Indian nation, tribe, band or community that is recognized as an Indian tribe by the United States department of the interior. See Arizona Laws 42-3301
- Luxury: means any article, object or device on which a tax is imposed under this chapter. See Arizona Laws 42-3001
- Smoking tobacco: means any tobacco that, because of its appearance, type, packaging, labeling or promotion, is suitable for use and likely to be offered to or purchased by consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes or otherwise consumed by burning. See Arizona Laws 42-3001
- Tobacco products: means all luxuries included in section 42-3052, paragraphs 5 through 9. See Arizona Laws 42-3001
(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 applies)
A. In addition to all other taxes, there is levied and shall be collected by the department a tax on the purchase on an Indian reservation of cigarettes, cigars, smoking tobacco, plug tobacco, snuff and other forms of tobacco at the rates prescribed by sections 42-3251 and 42-3251.01.
B. The department shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, monies levied and collected pursuant to subsection A of this section in the tobacco tax and health care fund established by section 36-771 and the tobacco products tax fund established by section 36-770 for use as prescribed by title 36, chapter 6, article 8.
C. If an Indian tribe imposes a luxury, sales, transaction privilege or similar tax on cigarettes, cigars, smoking tobacco, plug tobacco, snuff and other forms of tobacco but at a rate that is:
1. Less than that prescribed by subsection A of this section, the tax imposed by this article shall be levied at a rate equal to the difference between the rate prescribed by subsection A of this section and the tax imposed by the Indian tribe.
2. Equal to or greater than the tax prescribed by subsection A of this section, then the rate of tax under this article is zero.