As used in this chapter:
(a) The term “personal information” means any information that is maintained by an agency that identifies or describes an individual, including, but not limited to, his or her name, social security number, physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, and medical or employment history. It includes statements made by, or attributed to, the individual.
Terms Used In California Civil Code 1798.3
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
(b) The term “agency” means every state office, officer, department, division, bureau, board, commission, or other state agency, except that the term agency shall not include:
(1) The California Legislature.
(2) Any agency established under Article VI of the California Constitution.
(3) The State Compensation Insurance Fund, except as to any records which contain personal information about the employees of the State Compensation Insurance Fund.
(4) A local agency, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 6252 of the Government Code.
(c) The term “disclose” means to disclose, release, transfer, disseminate, or otherwise communicate all or any part of any record orally, in writing, or by electronic or any other means to any person or entity.
(d) The term “individual” means a natural person.
(e) The term “maintain” includes maintain, acquire, use, or disclose.
(f) The term “person” means any natural person, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, firm, or association.
(g) The term “record” means any file or grouping of information about an individual that is maintained by an agency by reference to an identifying particular such as the individual’s name, photograph, finger or voice print, or a number or symbol assigned to the individual.
(h) The term “system of records” means one or more records, which pertain to one or more individuals, which is maintained by any agency, from which information is retrieved by the name of an individual or by some identifying number, symbol or other identifying particular assigned to the individual.
(i) The term “governmental entity,” except as used in Section 1798.26, means any branch of the federal government or of the local government.
(j) The term “commercial purpose” means any purpose which has financial gain as a major objective. It does not include the gathering or dissemination of newsworthy facts by a publisher or broadcaster.
(k) The term “regulatory agency” means the Department of Business Oversight, the Department of Insurance, the Bureau of Real Estate, and agencies of the United States or of any other state responsible for regulating financial institutions.
(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 352, Sec. 52. (AB 1317) Effective September 26, 2013. Operative July 1, 2013, by Sec. 543 of Ch. 352.)