(a) “Member” means any person who, pursuant to a specific provision of a corporation‘s articles or bylaws, has the right to vote for the election of a director or directors, or possesses proprietary interests in the corporation.
(b) The articles or bylaws may confer some or all of the rights of a member, set forth in this part, upon any person or persons who do not have any of the voting rights referred to in subdivision (a).
Terms Used In California Corporations Code 12238
- Corporation: as used in this part means a corporation which is organized under, or subject to this part, including a central organization. See California Corporations Code 12232
- Directors: means natural persons, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and natural persons designated, elected, or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the governing body of the corporation. See California Corporations Code 12233
(c) Where a member of a corporation is not a natural person, such member may authorize in writing one or more natural persons to vote on its behalf on any or all matters which may require a vote of the members.
(d) A person is not a member by virtue of any of the following:
(1) Any rights such person has as a delegate.
(2) Any rights such person has to designate or select a director or directors.
(3) Any rights such person has as a director.
(e) “Worker-member” means a member of a worker cooperative who is a natural person and also a patron of a worker cooperative.
(f) “Community investor” means a person who is not a worker-member and who holds a share or other proprietary interest in a worker cooperative.
(g) “Worker” means a natural person contributing labor or services to a worker cooperative. “Candidate” means a worker who is being considered for membership in a worker cooperative, as defined in the corporation’s articles or bylaws.
(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 192, Sec. 7. (AB 816) Effective January 1, 2016.)