(a) (1) All of the following names are the property of the state:
(A) “California State University.”
Terms Used In California Education Code 89005.5
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- trustees: means the Trustees of the California State University, created under Section 66600. See California Education Code 89000
(B) The names of all educational institutions in the state with names containing the words “California State University.”
(C) All of the following names:
(i) “California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.”
(ii) “California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.”
(iii) “California Maritime Academy.”
(iv) “Humboldt State University.”
(v) “Sonoma State University.”
(vi) “San Francisco State University.”
(vii) “San Jose State University.”
(viii) “San Diego State University.”
(D) Abbreviations of names listed in subparagraphs (A), (B), and (C), including, but not necessarily limited to, all of the following:
(i) “Cal State.”
(ii) “Cal Maritime.”
(iii) “Humboldt State.”
(iv) “Sonoma State.”
(v) “San Francisco State.”
(vi) “San Jose State.”
(vii) “San Diego State.”
(viii) “Cal Poly.”
(2) No person shall, without the permission of the Trustees of the California State University, use this name, or any abbreviation of it or any name of which these words are a part, in any of the following ways:
(A) To designate any business, social, political, religious, or other organization, including, but not limited to, any corporation, firm, partnership, association, group, activity, or enterprise.
(B) To imply, indicate, or otherwise suggest that any product, service, or organization is connected or affiliated with, or is endorsed, favored, or supported by, or is opposed by the Trustees of the California State University or any educational institution administered by the trustees. The permission of the trustees is required before any name listed in this subdivision may be used for any commercial purpose.
(C) To display, advertise, or announce this name publicly at, or in connection with, any meeting, assembly, or demonstration, or any propaganda, advertising, or promotional activity of any kind which has for its purpose or any part of its purpose the support, endorsement, advancement, opposition, or defeat of any strike, lockout, or boycott or of any political, religious, sociological, or economic movement, activity, or program.
(b) However, nothing in this section shall interfere with any person who makes, or restrict the right of any person to make, a true and accurate statement of his or her present or former relationship or connection with, his or her employment by, or his or her enrollment in, the California State University in the course of stating his or her experience or qualifications for any academic, governmental, business, or professional credit or enrollment, or in connection with any academic, governmental, professional, or other employment whatsoever.
(c) Every person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 664, Sec. 69. Effective January 1, 2003.)