Terms Used In California Codes > Education Code > Title 3 > Division 8 > Part 55 > Chapter 1 > Article 1
- board: means any entity listed in Section 101, the entities referred to in Sections 1000 and 3600, the State Bar, the Bureau of Real Estate, and any other state agency that issues a license, certificate, or registration authorizing a person to engage in a business or profession. See California Education Code 17352
- candidate: includes any officeholder who is subject to a recall election. See California Education Code 88085
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Director: means a member of the governing body. See California Education Code 89005
- Election: means any election including a primary that is provided for under this code. See California Education Code 88097
- Elections official: means any of the following:
California Education Code 88100
- Elective officer: means "elective officer" as defined by the principal act of each district or agency or if not defined, any officer of a district or agency holding an office that can be filled by election. See California Education Code 89005
- Elector: means a person who is a United States citizen 18 years of age or older and, except as specified in subdivision (b), is a resident of an election precinct in this state on or before the day of an election. See California Education Code 88101
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- General district election: means an election held pursuant to the provisions of this part. See California Education Code 89005
- General election: means either of the following:
California Education Code 88104
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Governing body: means the board of directors of a district or agency or the board or body which governs the activities of the district or agency. See California Education Code 89005
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Jurisprudence: The study of law and the structure of the legal system.
- Landowner voting district: means a district whose principal act requires an elector to be an owner of land located within the district. See California Education Code 89005
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- license: means license, certificate, registration, or other means to engage in a business or profession regulated by this code or referred to in Section 1000 or 3600. See California Education Code 17330
- Licensee: means a person or entity, other than a corporation, authorized by a license, certificate, registration, or other means to engage in a business or profession regulated by this code or referred to in Section 1000 or 3600. See California Education Code 17351
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any individual, partnership, association, corporation, limited liability company, or any organized group of persons whether incorporated or not. See California Education Code 19963
- Precinct: means a geographical area within a county that is made up of voters and is formed pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 12200) of Division 12. See California Education Code 88124
- precinct board: means the board appointed by the elections official to serve at a vote center. See California Education Code 88125
- Principal act: means the law providing for the creation of a particular district or agency or type of district or agency. See California Education Code 89005
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Secretary: means the secretary of the governing body or a person designated by him or her to perform a duty of the secretary. See California Education Code 89005
- Signature: includes either of the following:
California Education Code 88166
- Special election: is a n election, the specific time for the holding of which is not prescribed by law. See California Education Code 88167.5
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 17325
- Statewide election: is a n election held throughout the state. See California Education Code 88180
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs, unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 17319
- trustees: means the Trustees of the California State University, created under Section 66600. See California Education Code 89000
- Veterinary food-animal drugs: as used in this chapter shall include the following:
California Education Code 89306
- Voter: means any elector who is registered under this code. See California Education Code 88183