As used in this article, the following definitions have the following meanings:
(a) “Endorsee” means an unlicensed employee or authorized representative of a portable electronics vendor.
Terms Used In California Insurance Code 1758.69
- insurance agent: as used in this chapter does not include a life agent as defined in this article. See California Insurance Code 1621
- license: includes a certificate of convenience and a permanent license, and the term "persons who are licensed" includes the holders of any such certificate or the license, but these definitions and the use of those terms in this chapter shall not confer upon a certificate of convenience or any holder thereof any property right in or to the certificate, the certificate being and remaining only a temporary permit, issued as a matter of convenience, allowing the transaction of insurance without a permanent license, but within the limits, and subject to the conditions of the certificate of convenience issued and the laws applicable thereto. See California Insurance Code 1627
- organization: means any legal entity other than a natural person. See California Insurance Code 1628
(b) “Enrollment” means the process of soliciting or accepting enrollments or applications from a consumer under a portable electronics insurance policy, which includes informing the consumer of the availability of coverage, preparing and delivery of the certificate of insurance or notice of proposed insurance, or otherwise assisting the consumer in making an informed decision whether or not to elect to purchase portable electronics insurance.
(c) (1) “License period” means all of that two-year period beginning as described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (2), as applicable, and ending the second succeeding year on the last calendar day of the month in which the initial license was issued.
(2) A license period shall be determined for each person as follows:
(A) Upon initial licensing, the license period shall start on the date the license is issued.
(B) For a subsequent license, the license period shall start on the first day following the month in which the initial license was issued.
(3) A license shall be renewed on or before the expiration date of the license period.
(d) (1) “Portable electronics” means all of the following:
(A) Personal, self-contained, easily carried by an individual, battery-operated electronic communication, viewing, listening, recording, gaming, computing, or global positioning devices, including cell or satellite phones, pagers, personal global positioning satellite units, portable computers, portable audio listening, video viewing or recording devices, digital cameras, video camcorders, portable gaming systems, docking stations, automatic answering devices, their accessories, and service related to the use of those devices.
(B) Any other electronic device that is portable in nature that the commissioner approves.
(2) “Portable electronics” does not include telecommunications switching equipment, transmission wires, cell site transceiver equipment, or other equipment and systems used by telecommunications companies to provide telecommunications service to consumers.
(e) (1) “Portable electronics insurance” means a contract providing coverage for the repair or replacement of portable electronics against any one or more of the following causes of loss: loss, theft, mechanical failure, malfunction, damage, or other applicable perils.
(2) “Portable electronics insurance” does not include any of the following:
(A) A service contract governed by Article 4.5 (commencing with Section 9855) of Chapter 20 of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code.
(B) A policy of insurance covering a seller’s or a manufacturer’s obligations under a warranty.
(C) A homeowner’s, renter’s, private passenger automobile, commercial multiperil, or similar policy.
(f) “Portable electronics insurance agent license” means an agent license issued to an individual or organization for the enrollment and sale of portable electronics insurance.
(g) “Portable electronics vendor” means any person in the business, directly or indirectly, of selling, reselling, soliciting, or leasing portable electronics, their accessories, and related services to customers.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 165, Sec. 11. (AB 690) Effective January 1, 2012. Note: See conditions in Section 1758.693 regarding the initial operative date of Article 16.1, commencing with Section 1758.6.)