|Article 3||Driver Notification Requirements|
|Article 4||Employer Responsibilities|
|Article 5||Commercial Driver’s License|
Terms Used In California Codes > Vehicle Code > Division 6 > Chapter 7
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- bonds: means revenue bonds, notes, refunding bonds, refunding notes, bond anticipation notes, certificates of indebtedness, and other evidences of indebtedness payable from the sources provided in this chapter. See California Water Code 11700
- bus: is a ny vehicle, including a trailer bus, designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 15 persons including the driver. See California Education Code 8265
- business: includes a proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and any other form of commercial enterprise. See California Education Code 8265.1
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 5092
- Classification: means that each position in the classified service shall have a designated title, a regular minimum number of assigned hours per day, days per week, and months per year, a specific statement of the duties required to be performed by the employees in each such position, and the regular monthly salary ranges for each such position. See California Education Code 45101
- Commercial motor vehicle: means any vehicle or combination of vehicles that requires a class A or class B license, or a class C license with an endorsement issued pursuant to paragraph (2), (3), (4), or (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 15278. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- commercial vehicle: is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property. See California Education Code 8272.1
- Commission: means the Public Utilities Commission created by Section 1 of Article XII of the California Constitution, and "commissioner" means a member of the commission. See California Education Code 5093
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Conviction: means an unvacated adjudication of guilt, or a determination that a person has violated or failed to comply with the law in a court of original jurisdiction or by an authorized administrative tribunal, an unvacated forfeiture of bail or collateral deposited to secure the person's appearance in court, a plea of guilty or nolo contendere accepted by the court, the payment of a fine or court costs, or violation of a condition of release without bail, regardless of whether or not the penalty is rebated, suspended, or probated. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 5091
- cribbing device: is a ny paper or device designed for cheating by supplying examination answers without questions to an applicant for the purpose of fraudulently qualifying the applicant for any class of driver's license, permit, or certificate. See California Education Code 8275.5
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles except, when used in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 2100) of Division 2 and in Divisions 11 (commencing with Section 21000), 12 (commencing with Section 24000), 13 (commencing with Section 29000), 14 (commencing with Section 31600), 14. See California Education Code 8277.2
- Disqualification: means a prohibition against driving a commercial motor vehicle. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- driver: is a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See California Education Code 8278.3
- Employer: means any person, including the United States, a state, or political subdivision of a state, who owns or leases a commercial motor vehicle or assigns drivers to operate that vehicle. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- farm labor vehicle: is a ny motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained for the transportation of nine or more farmworkers, in addition to the driver, to or from a place of employment or employment-related activities. See California Education Code 8322
- Fatality: means the death of a person as a result of a motor vehicle accident. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- Felony: means an offense under state or federal law that is punishable by death or imprisonment for a term exceeding one year. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- General public paratransit vehicle: means any motor vehicle designed for carrying no more than 24 persons and the driver, that provides local transportation to the general public, including transportation of pupils at or below the 12th-grade level to or from a public or private school or school activity, under the exclusive jurisdiction of a publicly owned and operated transit system through one of the following modes: dial-a-ride, subscription service, or route-deviated bus service. See California Education Code 8332.25
- Hazardous material: includes explosives and hazardous wastes or substances as defined by regulations adopted pursuant to Section 25141 of the Health and Safety Code and medical wastes, as defined in Section 117690 of the Health and Safety Code. See California Education Code 8332.6
- Imminent hazard: means the existence of a condition that presents a substantial likelihood that death, serious illness, severe personal injury, or substantial endangerment to health, property, or the environment may occur before the reasonably foreseeable completion date of a formal proceeding has begun to lessen the risk of death, illness, injury, or endangerment. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- instruction: includes classroom driver education, in-vehicle driver training, and correspondence study. See California Education Code 8279.2
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- motor vehicle: includes a recreational vehicle as that term is defined in subdivision (a) of Section 18010 of the Health and Safety Code, but does not include a truck camper. See California Education Code 8360
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Noncommercial motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles that is not included within the definition in subdivision (b). See California Vehicle Code 15210
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- passenger transportation vehicle: is a ny vehicle, including a trailer bus, designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 persons including the driver, which requires the person to have in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license for the appropriate class of vehicle to be driven endorsed for passenger transportation. See California Education Code 8400
- passenger vehicle: is a ny motor vehicle, other than a motortruck, truck tractor, or a bus, as defined in Section 233, and used or maintained for the transportation of persons. See California Education Code 8401
- Person: includes a natural person, firm, copartnership, association, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Education Code 8404
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- representative: is a ny person regularly employed by a manufacturer or distributor for the purpose of negotiating or promoting the sale of the manufacturer's or distributer's vehicles to their franchisees or for regularly supervising or contacting franchisees or prospective franchisees in this state for any purpose. See California Education Code 8428
- Road: means any existing vehicle route established before January 1, 1979, with significant evidence of prior regular travel by vehicles subject to registration pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 4000) of Chapter 1 of Division 3. See California Education Code 8213
- Schoolbus: is a commercial motor vehicle, as defined in Section 545. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- Serious traffic violation: includes any of the following:
California Vehicle Code 15210
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 5090
- State: means a state of the United States or the District of Columbia. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 14022
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 5028
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 14002.05
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Tank vehicle: means a commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of at least 1,000 gallons that is permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis, including, but not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in Part 171 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. See California Vehicle Code 15210
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- traffic: includes pedestrians, ridden animals, vehicles, street cars, and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel. See California Education Code 8483.3
- trailer: includes a semitrailer when used in conjunction with an auxiliary dolly, if the auxiliary dolly is of a type constructed to replace the function of the drawbar and the front axle or axles of a trailer. See California Education Code 8483.76
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: means the United States of America, and in relation to any particular matter includes the officers, agents, employees, agencies, or instrumentalities authorized to act in relation thereto. See California Education Code 14022.5
- vehicle: is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See California Education Code 8486