Terms Used In Texas Education Code Chapter 1001 - Driver and Traffic Safety Education
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- County election precinct: means an election precinct established under Section Texas Election Code 1.005
- County office: means an office of the county government that is voted on countywide. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- District office: means an office of the federal or state government that is not voted on statewide. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Election official: means :
(A) a county clerk;
(B) a permanent or temporary deputy county clerk;
(C) an elections administrator;
(D) a permanent or temporary employee of an elections administrator;
(E) an election judge;
(F) an alternate election judge;
(G) an early voting clerk;
(H) a deputy early voting clerk;
(I) an election clerk;
(J) the presiding judge of an early voting ballot board;
(K) the alternate presiding judge of an early voting ballot board;
(L) a member of an early voting ballot board;
(M) the chair of a signature verification committee;
(N) the vice chair of a signature verification committee;
(O) a member of a signature verification committee;
(P) the presiding judge of a central counting station;
(Q) the alternate presiding judge of a central counting station;
(R) a central counting station manager;
(S) a central counting station clerk;
(T) a tabulation supervisor;
(U) an assistant to a tabulation supervisor; and
(V) a chair of a county political party holding a primary election or a runoff primary election. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- General election: means an election, other than a primary election, that regularly recurs at fixed dates. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Independent candidate: means a candidate in a nonpartisan election or a candidate in a partisan election who is not the nominee of a political party. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Law: means a constitution, statute, city charter, or city ordinance. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Local canvass: means the canvass of the precinct election returns. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Measure: means a question or proposal submitted in an election for an expression of the voters' will. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Oath: includes affirmation. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Political subdivision: means a county, city, or school district or any other governmental entity that:
(A) embraces a geographic area with a defined boundary;
(B) exists for the purpose of discharging functions of government; and
(C) possesses authority for subordinate self-government through officers selected by it. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Primary election: means an election held by a political party under Chapter Texas Election Code 1.005
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Registered voter: means a person registered to vote in this state whose registration is effective. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Residence address: means the street address and any apartment number, or the address at which mail is received if the residence has no address, and the city, state, and zip code that correspond to a person's residence. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Statewide office: means an office of the federal or state government that is voted on statewide. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Swear: includes affirm. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Voting station: means the voting booth or other place where voters mark their ballots or otherwise indicate their votes at a polling place. See Texas Election Code 1.005