(1) The Friends of Florida Citrus Program is established within the department to provide support and assistance for existing and future programs within the department.
(a) Through the program, the department shall:
1. Conduct programs and activities related to the protection and enhancement of the quality and reputation of Florida citrus fruit and the canned and concentrated products thereof in domestic and foreign markets.
2. Identify and pursue methods to provide resources and materials for the programs.
3. Research methods to integrate the resources and materials identified pursuant to subparagraph 2.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 601.041
- Citrus fruit: means all varieties and regulated hybrids of citrus fruit and also means processed citrus products containing 20 percent or more citrus fruit or citrus fruit juice. See Florida Statutes 601.03
- Commission: means the Florida Citrus Commission as head of the department. See Florida Statutes 601.03
- Concentrated products: means :(a) Frozen citrus fruit juice that has a concentration that exceeds 20 degrees Brix and is kept at a sufficiently freezing temperature to ensure preservation of the product; or(b) Citrus fruit juice that is sealed in hermetically sealed containers at a concentration that exceeds 20 degrees Brix and is sufficiently processed by heat to ensure preservation of the product. See Florida Statutes 601.03
- Department: means the Department of Citrus. See Florida Statutes 601.03
(2) The Friends of Florida Citrus Advisory Council, an advisory council as defined in s. 20.03(7), is established adjunct to the department. The advisory council shall advise and provide recommendations to the commission regarding the use of any funds received for the Friends of Florida Citrus Program. The advisory council shall operate in a manner consistent with s. 20.052, and members shall be appointed by the commission. Initially, the commission shall appoint two members to a term of 4 years, one member to a term of 3 years, one member to a term of 2 years, and one member to a term of 1 year. Thereafter, members shall be appointed for 4-year terms. The council shall consist of the following members:
(a) One member of the commission.
(b) One member recommended by the Florida Citrus Processors Association.
(c) One member recommended by the statewide voluntary Florida citrus growers association with the highest membership.
(d) Two at-large members, at the discretion of the commission.