(1) The department shall administer this section and prescribe suitable and reasonable rules to properly implement this section.
(2) The department shall:
(a)1. Conduct or cause to be conducted a thorough and comprehensive study of citrus fruit and the juices thereof:
a. With respect to the quality and maturity of such fruit and the juices thereof, including proper effort to assemble data and arrive at a proper standard of quality, grade, and maturity with reference to its texture, stability, and general marketability and so far as possible reduce such findings to specific and readily understood chemical, mathematical, or descriptive terms; and
b. With respect to the nutritional and other value or values of such fruit and the juices thereof.
2. Provide suitable facilities and equipment of every kind whatsoever proper and necessary in connection with all such work.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 601.13
- Citrus fruit: means all varieties and regulated hybrids of citrus fruit and also means processed citrus products containing 20 percent or more citrus fruit or citrus fruit juice. See Florida Statutes 601.03
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the Department of Citrus. See Florida Statutes 601.03
- Person: means any natural person, partnership, association, corporation, trust, estate, or other legal entity. See Florida Statutes 601.03
(b) Conduct or cause to be conducted such study and research as is necessary to provide all the information and data required to be disseminated pursuant to this section.
(c) Provide suitable and sufficient laboratory facilities and equipment, making use of the laboratory facilities and equipment of the University of Florida, insofar as it is practicable for the purpose of conducting thorough and comprehensive study and research to determine all possible new and further uses for citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices and the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured, as well as to determine and develop new and profitable methods and instruments of distribution thereof.
(d) Carry on, or cause to be carried on, suitable experiments in an effort to prove the commercial value of each, and determine and develop new and further use for citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices or the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured.
(e) Carry on or cause to be carried on suitable experiments in an effort to prove the commercial value of any and all new profitable methods and instruments of distribution of citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices and the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured.
(f) Carry on or cause to be carried on an economic and marketing research program relating to citrus fruits and products or byproducts thereof.
(g) Enter into any mutually satisfactory contracts or agreements with any person, firm, institution, corporation, or business unit, as well as any state or federal agency, that the department deems wise, necessary, and expedient in the administration of this chapter.
(h) Incur and pay such expenses and obligations as are necessary in connection with and required for the proper administration of this chapter.
(i) Conduct or cause to be conducted any research related to disease and crop efficiency that would advance the purposes of the state’s citrus industry and commercialization related to advancing such research.
(3) There is appropriated and made available for defraying the expenses of the administration of this section from the moneys derived from advertising assessments levied on citrus fruit such amounts as the department may deem necessary within the percentage limitations imposed by s. 601.15.