(1) As to insurance against loss or damage to property, except as provided in s. 625.061, and as to all general casualty insurance and surety insurance, every insurer shall maintain an unearned premium reserve on all policies in force.
(2) The office may require that such reserves be equal to the unearned portions of the gross premiums in force after deducting applicable reinsurance in solvent insurers as computed on each respective risk from the date of issue of the policy. If the office does not so require, the portions of the gross premium in force, less applicable reinsurance in solvent insurers, to be held as an unearned premium reserve, shall be computed according to the following table:
Term for which policy     Reserve for unearned
was written     premium
1 year or less……….1/2
2 years……….1st year-3/4
3 years……….1st year-5/6
4 years……….1st year-7/8
5 years……….1st year-9/10
Over 5 years……….pro rata
(3) In lieu of computation according to the foregoing table, the insurer at its option may compute all of such reserves on a monthly or more frequent pro rata basis.
(4) After adopting a method for computing such reserve, an insurer shall not change methods without approval of the public insurance supervisory official of the state of domicile.
(5) This section does not apply to title insurance.