Terms Used In Florida Statutes 633.518
- Department: means the Department of Financial Services. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- Division: means the Division of State Fire Marshal within the Department of Financial Services. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- employment: means any service performed by a firefighter employee for the firefighter employer. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Firefighter: means an individual who holds a current and valid Firefighter Certificate of Compliance or Special Certificate of Compliance issued by the division under…. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- Firefighter employee: means a firefighter, volunteer firefighter, or individual providing support services who is engaged in any employment, public or private, under any appointment or contract of hire or apprenticeship, express or implied, oral or written, whether lawfully or unlawfully employed, responding to or assisting with fire or medical emergencies, regardless of whether on duty, except those appointed under…. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Firefighter employer: means the state and all political subdivisions of this state, all public and quasi-public corporations in this state, and a person carrying on any employment for this state, political subdivisions of this state, and public and quasi-public corporations in this state which employs firefighter employees, except those appointed under…. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- place of employment: means the physical location at which the firefighter employee is employed or deployed. See Florida Statutes 633.504
(1) The department shall make studies, investigations, inspections, or inquiries with respect to compliance with this part or any rules authorized under this part and the causes of firefighter employee injuries, illnesses, safety-based complaints, or Line of Duty Deaths (LODD) as defined in rule in firefighter employee places of employment and shall make such recommendations to the Legislature and firefighter employers and insurers as the department considers proper to prevent or reduce future occurrences. In making such studies, investigations, inspections, or inquiries, the department may cooperate with any agency of the United States charged with the duty of enforcing any law securing safety against injury in any place of firefighter employment covered by this part or any agency or department of the state engaged in enforcing any law to ensure safety for firefighter employees.
(2) The division by rule may adopt procedures for conducting investigations, inspections, or inquiries of firefighter employers under this part.
(3) The division and authorized representatives of the division may enter and inspect any firefighter employee’s place of employment at any reasonable time for the purpose of investigating compliance with this part and conducting inspections for the proper enforcement of this part. A firefighter employer who refuses to admit any member of the division or authorized representative of the division to any place of employment or to allow investigation and inspection pursuant to this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.