Terms Used In Florida Statutes 633.520
- Division: means the Division of State Fire Marshal within the Department of Financial Services. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- employment: means any service performed by a firefighter employee for the firefighter employer. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Firefighter: means an individual who holds a current and valid Firefighter Certificate of Compliance or Special Certificate of Compliance issued by the division under…. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- Firefighter employer: means the state and all political subdivisions of this state, all public and quasi-public corporations in this state, and a person carrying on any employment for this state, political subdivisions of this state, and public and quasi-public corporations in this state which employs firefighter employees, except those appointed under…. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- place of employment: means the physical location at which the firefighter employee is employed or deployed. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Use: means application, employment; that enjoyment of property which consists of its employment, occupation, exercise, or practice. See Florida Statutes 633.102
(1) Each firefighter employer shall furnish and use safety devices and safeguards, adopt and use methods and processes reasonably adequate to render such an employment and place of employment safe, and do every other thing reasonably necessary to protect the lives, health, and safety of such firefighter employees. As used in this section, the terms “safe” and “safety,” as applied to any employment or place of employment, mean such freedom from danger as is reasonably necessary for the protection of the lives, health, and safety of firefighter employees, including conditions and methods of sanitation and hygiene. Safety devices and safeguards required to be furnished by the firefighter employer by this section or by the division under authority of this section do not include personal apparel and protective devices that replace personal apparel normally worn by firefighter employees during regular working hours.
(2) The division shall adopt rules to establish employers’ cancer prevention best practices related to personal protective equipment, decontamination, fire suppression equipment, and fire stations.