(1) Each firefighter employee of a firefighter employer covered under this part shall comply with rules adopted by the division and with reasonable workplace safety and health standards, rules, policies, procedures, and work practices established by the firefighter employer and the workplace safety committee. A firefighter employee who knowingly fails to comply with this subsection may be disciplined or discharged by the firefighter employer.
(2) A firefighter employer may not discharge, threaten to discharge, cause to be discharged, intimidate, coerce, otherwise discipline, or in any manner discriminate against a firefighter employee for any of the following reasons:
(a) The firefighter employee has testified or is about to testify, on her or his own behalf or on behalf of others, in any proceeding instituted under this part;
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 633.532
- Division: means the Division of State Fire Marshal within the Department of Financial Services. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- Firefighter: means an individual who holds a current and valid Firefighter Certificate of Compliance or Special Certificate of Compliance issued by the division under…. See Florida Statutes 633.102
- Firefighter employee: means a firefighter, volunteer firefighter, or individual providing support services who is engaged in any employment, public or private, under any appointment or contract of hire or apprenticeship, express or implied, oral or written, whether lawfully or unlawfully employed, responding to or assisting with fire or medical emergencies, regardless of whether on duty, except those appointed under…. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Firefighter employer: means the state and all political subdivisions of this state, all public and quasi-public corporations in this state, and a person carrying on any employment for this state, political subdivisions of this state, and public and quasi-public corporations in this state which employs firefighter employees, except those appointed under…. See Florida Statutes 633.504
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
(b) The firefighter employee has exercised any other right given under this part; or
(c) The firefighter employee is engaged in activities relating to the workplace safety committee.
(3) Pay, a position, seniority, or any other benefit may not be lost for exercising any right under, or for seeking compliance with any requirement of, this part.