(1) This section may be cited as the “Victoria Siegel Controlled Substance Safety Education and Awareness Act.”
(2) The department shall develop a written pamphlet relating to controlled substances which includes educational information about the following:
(a) Precautions regarding the use of pain management prescriptions.
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 893.30
(b) The potential for misuse and abuse of controlled substances by adults and children.
(c) The risk of controlled substance dependency and addiction.
(d) The proper storage and disposal of controlled substances.
(e) Controlled substance addiction support and treatment resources.
(f) Telephone helplines and website links that provide counseling and emergency assistance for individuals dealing with substance abuse.
(3) The department shall encourage health care providers, including, but not limited to, hospitals, county health departments, physicians, and nurses, to disseminate and display information about controlled substance safety, including, but not limited to, the pamphlet created pursuant to subsection (2).
(4) The department shall encourage consumers to discuss the risks of controlled substance use with their health care providers.
(5) The State Surgeon General shall make publicly available, by posting on the department’s website, the pamphlet created pursuant to subsection (2) and additional resources as appropriate.
(6) The department shall fund the promotion of controlled substance safety education and awareness under this section through grants from private or federal sources.
(7) The department is encouraged to collaborate with other agencies, organizations, and institutions to create a systematic approach to increasing public awareness regarding controlled substance safety.