|Part I||Generally||453-1 – 453-18|
|Part II||Emergency Medical Service Personnel||453-31 – 453-33|
|Part III||Expedited Partner Therapy||453-51 – 453-54|
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 453
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- board: means the Hawaii medical board. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 453-5
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 54-17
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Expedited partner therapy: means the indirect treatment of partners of a patient who has been diagnosed as having a sexually transmitted disease through the dispensing or prescribing of antibiotic therapy for the treatment of the partners to the patient without the physical examination of the partners by a health professional. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 453-51
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Health professional: means any of the following:
(1) A person licensed or otherwise authorized by law to practice medicine or surgery under this chapter and whose scope of practice includes the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases;
(2) An advanced practice registered nurse with prescriptive authority under chapter 457 and duly licensed in the State; or
(3) For the purpose of dispensing antibiotic therapy under this section, a pharmacist who is licensed or otherwise authorized to engage in the practice of pharmacy under chapter 461. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 453-51
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- month: means a calendar month; and the word "year" a calendar year. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 54-15
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- oath: includes a solemn affirmation. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 54-16
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Sexual activity: means sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, anal intercourse, or any other intrusion, however slight, of any part of a person's body or of any object into the genital or anal openings of another person's body, but emission of semen is not required. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 453-51
- Sexually transmitted disease: means chlamydia, gonorrhea, or other sexually transmitted diseases that are or may be recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for expedited partner therapy. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 453-51
- Society: means mutual benefit society. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 432:1-406
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.