|708A-3||Money laundering; criminal penalty|
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 708A
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 1-22
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Proceeds: means property of any kind acquired or derived directly or indirectly from, produced through, realized through, or caused by an act or omission. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 708A-2
- Property: means anything of value, including any interest, benefit, privilege, claim, or right with respect to anything of value, whether real or personal, tangible or intangible. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 708A-2
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Specified unlawful activity: means any act, or series of acts, that:
(a) Constitutes a felony under the laws of this State;
(b) If occurring outside this State, may be punishable by confinement for more than one year under the laws of the jurisdiction in which the act occurred;
(c) Involves an act or acts constituting the offense of gambling, criminal property damage, extortion, theft, or prostitution or a drug offense under chapters 329, 329C, or part IV of chapter 712 or any firearm offense; or
(d) If occurring outside this State, would constitute the offense of gambling, criminal property damage, extortion, theft, or prostitution or a drug offense under chapters 329, 329C, or part IV of chapter 712 or any firearm offense under the laws of this State. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 708A-2
- Transaction: includes a purchase, sale, trade, loan, pledge, investment, gift, transfer, transmission, delivery, deposit, withdrawal, payment, transfer between accounts, exchange of currency, extension of credit, purchase, sale, or exchange of any monetary instrument, use of a safe deposit box, or any other acquisition or disposition of property by whatever means effected. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 708A-2
- Unlawful activity: means any act that is chargeable or indictable as an offense of any degree or class under the laws of this State or under federal law or, if the act occurred in a jurisdiction other than this State, would be chargeable or indictable as an offense of any degree or class under the laws of this State or under federal law. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 708A-2