Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 18 > Chapter 67 - Communications Security
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Aggrieved person: means a person who was a party to any illegally intercepted wire, electronic or oral communication or a person against whom the interception was illegally directed. See Idaho Code 18-6701
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Aural transfer: means a transfer containing the human voice at any point between and including the point of origin and the point of reception. See Idaho Code 18-6701
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contents: when used with respect to any wire, electronic or oral communication includes any information concerning the identity of the parties to such communication or the existence, substance, purport, or meaning of that communication. See Idaho Code 18-6701
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Electronic communication: means any transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data or intelligence of any nature transmitted in whole or in part by a wire, radio, electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photooptical system, but does not include:
Idaho Code 18-6701
Electronic communication service: means any service that provides to the users thereof the ability to send or receive wire or electronic communications. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Electronic storage: means :
Idaho Code 18-6701
Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison. Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage, Intercept: means the aural or other acquisition of the contents of any wire, electronic or oral communication through the use of any electronic, mechanical, or other device. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Investigative or law enforcement officer: means any officer of the state of Idaho who is empowered by law to conduct investigations of, or to make arrests for, offenses enumerated in this chapter and any attorney authorized by law to prosecute or participate in the prosecution of such offenses. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Judge of competent jurisdiction: means a justice of the supreme court or a judge of a district court. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants. Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Oath: A promise to tell the truth. Oral communication: means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation but such term does not include any electronic communication. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means any employee or agent of the state or political subdivision thereof and any individual, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, cooperative, or corporation. See Idaho Code 18-6701 Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, evidences of debt and general intangibles as defined in the uniform commercial code — secured transactions. See Idaho Code 73-114 Personal property: All property that is not real property. Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government. Readily accessible to the general public: means , with respect to a radio communication, that such communication is not:
Idaho Code 18-6701
seal: includes an impression of such seal upon the paper, alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed thereto; or, alternatively, the seal may be the mark of a rubber stamp providing substantially the same information as the impression. See Idaho Code 73-111 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. User: means any person or entity who:
Idaho Code 18-6701
Wire communication: means any aural transfer made in whole or in part through the use of facilities for the transmission of communications by the aid of wire, cable, or other like connection between the point of origin and the point of reception (including the use of such connection in a switching station), furnished or operated by any person engaged in providing or operating such facilities for the transmission of intrastate, interstate or foreign communications. See Idaho Code 18-6701