Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 25 > Chapter 35
- Animal: means any vertebrate member of the animal kingdom, except man. See Idaho Code 25-3502
- Animal care and control agency: means any agency incorporated under the laws of this state to which a county or municipality has conferred authority to exercise the powers and duties set forth in this chapter based upon the agency’s ability to fulfill the purposes of this chapter. See Idaho Code 25-3502
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Companion animal: means those animals solely kept as pets and not used as production animals, as defined in this section, including, but not limited to, domestic dogs, domestic cats, rabbits, companion birds, and other animals. See Idaho Code 25-3502
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- cruelty: shall mean any or all of the following:
Idaho Code 25-3502
Custodian: means any person who keeps or harbors an animal, has an animal in his care or acts as caretaker of an animal. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime. Department: means the Idaho state department of agriculture. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Department investigator: means a person employed by, or approved by, the Idaho state department of agriculture, division of animal industries, to determine whether there has been a violation of this chapter. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial. Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial. Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source: Division: means the division of animal industries of the Idaho state department of agriculture. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison. Interrogatories: Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a lawsuit. Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff. maliciously: means the intentional doing of a wrongful act without just cause or excuse, with an intent to inflict an injury or death. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Oath: A promise to tell the truth. Owner: means any person who has a right of property in an animal. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Person: means any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, other business unit, society, association or other legal entity, any public or private institution, the state of Idaho, or any municipal corporation or political subdivision of the state. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court. Pound: means a place enclosed by public authority for the detention of stray animals. See Idaho Code 25-3502 Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. Production animal: means , for purposes of this chapter:
Idaho Code 25-3502
Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. Whips: Assistants to the floor leaders who are also elected by their party conferences. The Majority and Minority Whips (and their assistants) are responsible for mobilizing votes within their parties on major issues. In the absence of a party floor leader, the whip often serves as acting floor leader.