Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 54 > Chapter 48
- Agency contract: means an agreement in which a student athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the athlete a professional-sports-services contract or endorsement contract. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Athletic director: means the individual responsible for administering the overall athletic program of an educational institution or, if an educational institution has separately administered athletic programs for male students and female students, the athletic program for males or the athletic program for females, as appropriate. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Educational institution: includes a public or private elementary school, secondary school, technical or vocational school, community college, college and university. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Endorsement contract: means an agreement under which a student athlete is employed or receives consideration to use on behalf of the other party any value that the athlete may have because of publicity, reputation, following or fame obtained because of athletic ability or performance. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Enrolled: means registered for courses and attending athletic practice or class. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Intercollegiate sport: means a sport played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student athlete are established by a national association that promotes or regulates collegiate athletics. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means an individual, estate, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, or other legal entity. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Recruit or solicit: means attempt to influence the choice of an athlete agent by a student athlete or, if the athlete is a minor, a parent or guardian of the athlete. See Idaho Code 54-4802
- Sign: means , with present intent to authenticate or adopt a record:
Idaho Code 54-4802
State: means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. See Idaho Code 54-4802 Student athlete: means an individual who is eligible to attend an educational institution and engages in, is eligible to engage in, or may be eligible in the future to engage in any interscholastic or intercollegiate sport. See Idaho Code 54-4802