Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 6 > Chapter 9
- Account: means an arrangement under a terms of service agreement in which a custodian carries, maintains, processes, receives or stores a digital asset of the user or provides goods or services to the user. See Idaho Code 15-14-102
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Adult household member: means any individual eighteen (18) years of age and over who resides in the household. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Agent: means an attorney in fact granted authority under a durable or nondurable power of attorney. See Idaho Code 15-14-102
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- ambulance service district: means a political subdivision formed to provide ambulance transport, emergency medical services as defined in section 56-1012, Idaho Code, community health emergency medical services as defined in section 56-1012, Idaho Code, and/or other activities necessary to meet the community health needs of the district. See Idaho Code 31-3908
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applicant: means the individual and all others in the household who are requesting nonmedical assistance and who submit a county application. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Applicant: means any person who is requesting financial assistance under this chapter. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Application: means the combined application for state and county medical assistance pursuant to sections 31-3504 and 31-3503E, Idaho Code. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: means property rights including, but not limited to, personal, real, tangible and intangible property. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Authorized representative: means the applicant’s guardian or appointed attorney-in-fact. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means a board of county commissioners. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Board: means the board of the catastrophic health care cost program, as established in section 31-3517, Idaho Code. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Case management: means coordination of services to help meet a patient’s health care needs, usually when the patient has a condition that requires multiple services. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Catalog of electronic communications: means information that identifies each person with which a user has had an electronic communication, the time and date of the communication and the electronic address of the person. See Idaho Code 15-14-102
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Clerk: means the clerk of a board of county commissioners or his designee. See Idaho Code 31-3403
- Clerk: means the clerk of the respective counties or his or her designee. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Codicil: An addition, change, or supplement to a will executed with the same formalities required for the will itself.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Completed application: shall include at a minimum the cover sheet requesting services, applicant information including diagnosis and requests for services and signatures, personal and financial information of the applicant and obligated person or persons, patient rights and responsibilities, releases and all other signatures required in the application. See Idaho Code 31-3502
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Conservator: means a person appointed by a court to manage the estate of a living individual. See Idaho Code 15-14-102
- Content of an electronic communication: means information concerning the substance or meaning of the communication that:
Idaho Code 15-14-102
Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed. Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant. Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name. County commissioners: means the board of county commissioners in their respective counties. See Idaho Code 31-3502 County hospital: means any county approved institution or facility for the care of sick persons. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Court: means the court in this state having jurisdiction in matters relating to the content of this chapter. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Custodian: means a person that carries, maintains, processes, receives or stores a digital asset of a user. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries. Decedent: A deceased person. Decision maker: means a person authorized to act for an individual under a substitute decision-making document, whether denominated a decision maker, agent, attorney in fact, proxy, representative or by another title. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another. Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime. Department: means the department of health and welfare. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Dependent: means any person whom a taxpayer claims as a dependent under the income tax laws of the state of Idaho. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another. Designated recipient: means a person chosen by a user using an online tool to administer digital assets of the user. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Devise: To gift property by will. Digital asset: means an electronic record in which an individual has a right or interest. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial. Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings. Electronic: means relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic or similar capabilities. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Electronic communication: has the meaning set forth in 18 U. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC Emergency: means any circumstance demanding immediate action. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office. Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller. Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison. Fiduciary: means an original, additional or successor personal representative, conservator, agent or trustee. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006. Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another. Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value. Good faith: means honesty in fact. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage, Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it. Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs. Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted. Health care: means a service or procedure to maintain, diagnose, treat or otherwise affect an individual's physical or mental condition. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Hospital: means a facility licensed and regulated pursuant to sections 39-1301 through 39-1314, Idaho Code, or an out-of-state hospital providing necessary medical services for residents of Idaho, wherein a reciprocal agreement exists, in accordance with section 31-3503B, Idaho Code, excluding state institutions. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Household: means a collective body of persons consisting of spouses or parents and their children who reside in the same residence; or all other persons who by choice or necessity are mutually dependent upon each other for basic necessities and who reside in the same residence. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC Indigent: means any applicant who does not have resources available from whatever source which shall be sufficient to enable the applicant to provide nonmedical assistance or a portion thereof. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Information: means data, text, images, videos, sounds, codes, computer programs, software, databases or the like. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Information release: means the document authorizing release of confidential information. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes. Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Juror: A person who is on the jury. Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff. Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity. Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants. Magistrate judges: Judicial officers who assist U.S. district judges in getting cases ready for trial, who may decide some criminal and civil trials when both parties agree to have the case heard by a magistrate judge instead of a judge. Medicaid eligibility review: means the process used by the department to determine whether a person meets the criteria for medicaid coverage. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Medical home: means a model of primary and preventive care delivery in which the patient has a continuous relationship with a personal physician in a physician directed medical practice that is whole person oriented and where care is integrated and coordinated. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Medically indigent: means any person who is in need of necessary medical services and who, if an adult, together with his or her spouse, or whose parents or guardian if a minor or dependent, does not have income and other resources available to him from whatever source sufficient to pay for necessary medical services. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Idaho Code 73-114 Necessary medical services: means health care services and supplies that:
Idaho Code 31-3502
Nonmedical assistance: means reasonable costs for assistance, which includes food, shelter and provision of public defender services, and other such necessary services determined by the board by resolution. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Notice: includes all papers and orders (except process) required to be served in any proceeding before any court, board or officer, or when required by law to be served independently of such proceeding. See Idaho Code 31-2201 Oath: A promise to tell the truth. Obligated person: means the person or persons who are legally responsible for an applicant including, but not limited to, parents of minors or dependents. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Online tool: means an electronic service provided by a custodian that allows the user, in an agreement distinct from the terms-of-service agreement between the custodian and user, to provide directions for disclosure or nondisclosure of digital assets to a third person. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means an individual, estate, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, or other legal entity. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Person: means an individual, estate, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality or other legal entity. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Personal care: means an arrangement or service to provide an individual shelter, food, clothing, transportation, education, recreation, social contact or assistance with the activities of daily living. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, evidences of debt and general intangibles as defined in the uniform commercial code — secured transactions. See Idaho Code 73-114 Personal representative: means an executor, administrator, special administrator or person that performs substantially the same function under the law of this state other than this chapter. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit. Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer. Power of attorney: means a record that grants an agent authority to act in the place of a principal. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way. President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service. Principal: means an individual who grants authority to an agent in a power of attorney. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Probate: Proving a will Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Probation officers: Screen applicants for pretrial release and monitor convicted offenders released under court supervision. Process: as used in this chapter includes all writs, warrants, summons and orders of courts of justice or judicial officers. See Idaho Code 31-2201 Property: means anything that may be subject to ownership, whether real or personal or legal or equitable, or any interest or right therein. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Property: includes both real and personal property. See Idaho Code 73-114 Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government. Protected person: means an individual for whom a conservator has been appointed. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Provider: means any person, firm or corporation certified or licensed by the state of Idaho or holding an equivalent license or certification in another state, that provides necessary medical services to a patient requesting a medically indigent status determination or filing an application for financial assistance. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters. Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land. Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business. Recipient: means the individual(s) determined eligible for county assistance. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Recipient: means an individual determined eligible for financial assistance under this chapter. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Reimbursement rate: means the unadjusted medicaid rate of reimbursement for medical charges allowed pursuant to title XIX of the social security act, as amended, that is in effect at the time service is rendered. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. Repayment: means the authority of the board of county commissioners to require indigent person(s) to repay the county for assistance when investigation of their application determines their ability to do so. See Idaho Code 31-3403 Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation. Resident: means a person with a home, house, place of abode, place of habitation, dwelling or place where he or she actually lived for a consecutive period of thirty (30) days or more within the state of Idaho. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Resources: means all property, for which an applicant and/or an obligated person may be eligible or in which he or she may have an interest, whether tangible or intangible, real or personal, liquid or nonliquid, or pending, including, but not limited to, all forms of public assistance, crime victims compensation, worker’s compensation, veterans benefits, medicaid, medicare, supplemental security income (SSI), third party insurance, other insurance or apply for section 1011 of the medicare modernization act of 2003, if applicable, and any other property from any source. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action. seal: includes an impression of such seal upon the paper, alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed thereto; or, alternatively, the seal may be the mark of a rubber stamp providing substantially the same information as the impression. See Idaho Code 73-111 Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party. Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights. Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. Substitute decision-making document: means a record created by an individual to authorize a decision maker to act for the individual with respect to property, health care or personal care. See Idaho Code 15-15-102 Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system. Terms of service agreement: means an agreement that controls the relationship between a user and a custodian. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Testify: Answer questions in court. Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. Third party applicant: means a person other than an obligated person who completes, signs and files an application on behalf of a patient. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Third party insurance: means casualty insurance, disability insurance, health insurance, life insurance, marine and transportation insurance, motor vehicle insurance, property insurance or any other insurance coverage that may pay for a resident’s medical bills. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident. Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition. Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. Trial jury: A group of citizens who hear the evidence presented by both sides at trial and determine the facts in dispute. Federal criminal juries consist of 12 persons. Federal civil juries consist of six persons. Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC Trustee: means a fiduciary with legal title to property under an agreement or declaration that creates a beneficial interest in another. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. Uniform Commercial Code: A set of statutes enacted by the various states to provide consistency among the states' commercial laws. It includes negotiable instruments, sales, stock transfers, trust and warehouse receipts, and bills of lading. Source: OCC User: means a person that has an account with a custodian. See Idaho Code 15-14-102 Utilization management: means the evaluation of medical necessity, appropriateness and efficiency of the use of health care services, procedures and facilities. See Idaho Code 31-3502 Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried. Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge. Writ: signifies an order or precept in writing, issued in the name of the people, or of a court or judicial officer, and the word "process" a writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Idaho Code 73-114