(b) If the department receives information that a sex or violent offender has relocated to Indiana to reside, engage in employment or a vocation, or enroll in school, or that a sex or violent offender has been convicted in Indiana but not sentenced to the department, the department shall determine:
Terms Used In Indiana Code 11-8-8-20
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- local law enforcement authority: means the:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-2
- register: means to report in person to a local law enforcement authority and provide the information required under section 8 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-4
- sex offender: means a person convicted of any of the following offenses:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-4.5
- sex or violent offender: means a person convicted of any of the following offenses:
Indiana Code 11-8-8-5
- sexually violent predator: has the meaning set forth in IC 35-38-1-7. See Indiana Code 11-8-8-6
(A) sex offender under IC 11-8-8-4.5; or
(B) sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8-5;
(2) whether the person is a sexually violent predator under IC 35-38-1-7.5;
(3) the period for which the person will be required to register as a sex or violent offender in Indiana; and
(4) any other matter required by law to make a registration determination.
(c) After the department has made a determination under subsection (b), the department shall update the sex and violent offender registry web site and transmit the department’s determination to the local law enforcement authority having jurisdiction over the county where the sex or violent offender resides, is employed, and attends school. The department shall transmit:
(1) the sex or violent offender’s name, date of relocation, and new address (if applicable), the offense or delinquent act committed by the sex or violent offender, and any other available descriptive information;
(2) whether the sex or violent offender is a sexually violent predator;
(3) the period for which the sex or violent offender will be required to register in Indiana; and
(4) anything else required by law to make a registration determination.
As added by P.L.140-2006, SEC.13 and P.L.173-2006, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.216-2007, SEC.28; P.L.3-2008, SEC.88.