(1) A person employed by:
Terms Used In Indiana Code 35-44.1-3-2
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
(B) a law enforcement agency;
(C) a probation department;
(D) a county jail; or
(E) a circuit, superior, county, probate, city, or town court;
who is required to carry a firearm in performance of the person’s official duties.
(2) A law enforcement officer.
(b) A person who:
(1) knows that another person is an officer; and
(2) knowingly or intentionally takes or attempts to take a firearm (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or weapon that the officer is authorized to carry from the officer or from the immediate proximity of the officer:
(A) without the consent of the officer; and
(B) while the officer is engaged in the performance of the officer’s official duties;
commits disarming a law enforcement officer, a Level 5 felony. However, the offense is a Level 3 felony if it results in serious bodily injury to a law enforcement officer, and the offense is a Level 1 felony if it results in death to a law enforcement officer.
As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54. Amended by P.L.158-2013, SEC.510.