(2) A cigarette or tobacco product.
(3) A controlled substance.
(4) An item that may be used as a weapon.
(b) As used in this section, “inmate outside a facility” means a person who is incarcerated in a penal facility or detained in a juvenile facility on a full-time basis as the result of a conviction or a juvenile adjudication but who has been or is being transported to another location to participate in or prepare for a judicial proceeding. The term does not include the following:
(1) An adult or juvenile pretrial detainee.
(2) A person serving an intermittent term of imprisonment or detention.
(3) A person serving a term of imprisonment or detention as:
(A) a condition of probation;
(B) a condition of a community corrections program;
(C) part of a community transition program;
(D) part of a reentry court program;
(E) part of a work release program; or
(F) part of a community based program that is similar to a program described in clauses (A) through (E).
(4) A person who has escaped from incarceration or walked away from secure detention.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 35-44.1-3-6
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
(c) A person who, with the intent of providing contraband to an inmate outside a facility:
(1) delivers contraband to an inmate outside a facility; or
(2) places contraband in a location where an inmate outside a facility could obtain the contraband;
commits trafficking with an inmate outside a facility, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 6 felony if the contraband is an item described in subsection (a)(3), and a Level 5 felony if the contraband is an item described in subsection (a)(4).
As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54. Amended by P.L.158-2013, SEC.513.