Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 25 > Article 1
- active duty: means full-time service in the:
Indiana Code 25-1-12-2
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- affiliated: refers to a provider that is a member of the same provider group as another provider. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-2
- agency: refers to the Indiana professional licensing agency established by Indiana Code 25-1-13-2
- agency: refers to the Indiana professional licensing agency. See Indiana Code 25-1-16-1
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- applicant: means a person who applies for:
Indiana Code 25-1-1.2-1
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- approved organization: refers to the following:
Indiana Code 25-1-4-0.2
- armed forces of the United States: means the active or reserve components of:
Indiana Code 25-1-12-3
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- board: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 25-1-1.1-0.5
- board: means an entity that regulates occupations or professions under this title and the department of education as established by Indiana Code 25-1-1.2-2
- board: means any of the entities described in Indiana Code 25-1-4-0.3
- board: means any of the entities described in Indiana Code 25-1-8-1
- board: means any of the entities described in Indiana Code 25-1-9-1
- board: means any of the entities described in Indiana Code 25-1-11-1
- board: means an entity that regulates a specific regulated occupation. See Indiana Code 25-1-16-2
- board: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 25-1-17-1
- board members: means members of a regulatory board. See Indiana Code 25-1-3-1
- bureau: means the child support bureau established by Indiana Code 25-1-1.2-3
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- continuing education: means an orderly process of instruction:
Indiana Code 25-1-4-0.5
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- covered individual: means an individual who is entitled to coverage under a health plan. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-3
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- direct primary care agreement: means a contract entered into between a primary care provider or an employer of a primary care provider and an individual patient or the patient's legal representative in which the primary care provider or the employer of the primary care provider:
Indiana Code 25-1-10-1
- distant site: means a site at which a prescriber is located while providing health care services through telemedicine. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.5-2
- emergency medical condition: means a medical condition that arises suddenly and unexpectedly and manifests itself by acute symptoms of such severity, including severe pain, that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected by a prudent lay person who possesses an average knowledge of health and medicine to:
Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-4
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- health plan: means :
Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-5
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- INSPECT: refers to the Indiana scheduled prescription electronic collection and tracking program established by section 4 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 25-1-13-3
- institution: shall mean psychiatric, penal, correctional, benevolent, or special educational institutions owned and operated by the state of Indiana. See Indiana Code 4-24-6-1
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- license: as used in this chapter shall be construed to mean and include motor vehicle registration licenses, certificates of title showing the ownership of any motor vehicle, except those classed as passenger vehicles. See Indiana Code 25-1-1-2
- license: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 25-1-1.2-5
- license: includes a license, certificate, registration, or permit. See Indiana Code 25-1-9-3
- license: includes a license, certificate, registration, or permit. See Indiana Code 25-1-11-3
- license: includes a license, certificate, or registration. See Indiana Code 25-1-15-1
- license: means :
Indiana Code 25-1-16-4
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- medical record: means written or printed information possessed by a provider (as defined in IC 16-18-2-295) concerning any diagnosis, treatment, or prognosis of the patient, unless otherwise defined. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- military service: means service performed while an active member of any of the following:
Indiana Code 25-1-17-2
- military spouse: means the husband or wife of an individual who is a member of the armed forces of the United States. See Indiana Code 25-1-17-3
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- national criminal history background check: means the criminal history record system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation based on fingerprint identification or any other method of positive identification. See Indiana Code 25-1-1.1-4
- national guard: means :
Indiana Code 25-1-12-4
- network: means a group of two (2) or more providers that have entered into:
Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-6
- network provider: means a provider described in section 6 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-7
- office: refers to the office of management and budget. See Indiana Code 25-1-16-4.5
- originating site: means any site at which a patient is located at the time health care services through telemedicine are provided to the individual. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.5-3
- out of network provider: means a provider that is not described in section 6 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-8
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means an individual, a partnership, a corporation, or a limited liability company. See Indiana Code 25-1-11-4
- Personal property: includes goods, chattels, evidences of debt, and things in action. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- practitioner: means a person that holds:
Indiana Code 25-1-1.2-6
- practitioner: means an individual who holds:
Indiana Code 25-1-9-2
- practitioner: means a person that holds:
Indiana Code 25-1-11-2
- practitioner: means an individual who holds:
Indiana Code 25-1-12-5
- practitioner: refers to any of the following:
Indiana Code 25-1-15-2
- prescriber: means any of the following:
Indiana Code 25-1-9.5-4
- prescriber: refers to a practitioner who maintains an Indiana controlled substance registration and a federal Drug Enforcement Administration registration. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.7-1
- primary care health services: includes any of the following services that are provided within the primary care provider's scope of practice and for the purpose of promotion of health or the detection and management of disease or injury:
Indiana Code 25-1-10-3
- primary care provider: means a person that is licensed, certified, or registered under IC 12, IC 16, or this title to provide primary care health services in Indiana. See Indiana Code 25-1-10-2
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- provider: means a practitioner described in Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-9
- provider group: means a legal entity:
Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-10
- referral: means a recommendation or direction made by a provider to a covered individual that the covered individual receive a health care item or service rendered by another provider that is not affiliated with the first provider. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.1-11
- regulated occupation: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 25-1-16-5
- regulatory board: means any state board, commission, or state agency which licenses persons in order to regulate the practice of a particular profession or professions. See Indiana Code 25-1-3-1
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- secretary: means the executive secretary or other person charged with the administration of the affairs of a regulatory board. See Indiana Code 25-1-3-1
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- sexual contact: means :
Indiana Code 25-1-9-3.5
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- store and forward: means the transmission of a patient's medical information from an originating site to the prescriber at a distant site without the patient being present. See Indiana Code 25-1-9.5-5
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- telemedicine: means the delivery of health care services using electronic communications and information technology, including:
Indiana Code 25-1-9.5-6
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5